OS 5.0.1 Update Causing SIM Failure?
hporters

I updated my OS 5.0 to the new 5.0.1 yesterday and ever since I get these messages "SIM Failure". My phone goes to "No Service" and I have to turn the phone off and back on again to get service. Is anyone else having trouble with this and, if so, does anyone know if there is a fix?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: OS 5.0.1 Update Causing SIM Failure?
new2iphone

I had this happen on 11-13-2011 after installing OS 5.0.1.  I had "sim failure" in the morning and got "no service" in late afternoon.  I had not had any problems before installing the upgrade.

0 Likes
am24

I tried the update Friday night and completely crashed my 9 day old iPhone 4S.  Apparently, the term is "bricked."  After 2 hours on the phone with four different VZW technicians, they determined it must have been a lemon.  I am waiting for the arrival of my replacement phone (which I pray I will be reimbursed for).

0 Likes
lawsbs

Good news.  There is a fix.  I had the same problem since the 5.0.1 update. Phone techs - including level 2 - knew nothing about it.  But at my local Verizon store a manager did have SIM failure information in his database.  He undertook a fix which seems to have solved the problem.  He explained the error has to do with (non)activation of the SIM card when the phone was first set up.  It was not activated at that time.  When 5.0.1 searched for an activated SIM card, because it was not activated earlier, the error message appeared.  The manager activated the SIM card this morning and the problem has not occurred again today.   

0 Likes
donaldm823a

Posted a fix for SIM Failure here that you can do at home.  It is related to 5.0.1 and gives you a way to download that latest firmware and modem revision that eliminates the problem. 

http://community.vzw.com/t5/iPhone-4S/Fix-for-4S-SIM-Failure/td-p/761074

0 Likes