Personal Hotspot vs 3G Cellular
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Tell me if I have this correct and if it makes sense.

I presently have an iPhone4. I am thinking of getting an iPad2. I want to have internet capability for the iPad2 when wifi is not avialable. Rather than pay $529 for an iPad2 with wifi and 3G cellular and have to pay ( I think it's $25 a month for data) ;   why not just pay $399 for a wifi only iPad2 and then pay only $20 a month for a personal hotspot for my iPhone. Will that work ??

Thanks,

richie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Personal Hotspot vs 3G Cellular
Not applicable

Yep that is exactly what I do now and have done for years.

I pay $20 a month for 2GB of data using my iphone as a hotspot. works great so far.

That is the way to go.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep that is exactly what I do now and have done for years.

I pay $20 a month for 2GB of data using my iphone as a hotspot. works great so far.

That is the way to go.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks Elector.

So, it's $20 for the 2GB of data and another $20 for the hotspot connection ?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's $20 total for hotspot with 2 GB data (in addition to whatever you are currently paying for your data plan) if you're on a tiered data plan.  If you are on a Share Everything plan, the hotspot feature is included and draws data from your current data plan.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I am currently grandfathered and  have an unlimited data plan that cost me nothing. I assume I still have to pay $20 for the hotspot anyway, is that correct ??

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

An unlimited data plan that costs you nothing???  I've never heard of such a critter ... do you mind sharing what plan you're on? 

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Sure,

America's Choice Share 300 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gosh, it's been a long time since I've been on an America's Choice plan.  I'm still assuming you'd pay $20 for the hotspot, but you might want to call Customer Service and ask before you make a decision about your iPad.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Actually I seem to have better luck walking into the Verizon store down the street from me and talking to them face to face. That's the only way I was able to stay grandfathered when I switched from my blackberry to an iPhone. I was also able at the same time to switch my wife to an iPhone from an LG flip phone.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't make you switch to a Nationwide plan when you upgraded.

0 Likes