Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Personal Hotspot vs 3G Cellular
richie72846
Novice

Tell me if I have this correct and if it makes sense.

I presently have an iPhone4. I am thinking of getting an iPad2. I want to have internet capability for the iPad2 when wifi is not avialable. Rather than pay $529 for an iPad2 with wifi and 3G cellular and have to pay ( I think it's $25 a month for data) ;   why not just pay $399 for a wifi only iPad2 and then pay only $20 a month for a personal hotspot for my iPhone. Will that work ??

Thanks,

richie

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Personal Hotspot vs 3G Cellular
Not applicable

Yep that is exactly what I do now and have done for years.

I pay $20 a month for 2GB of data using my iphone as a hotspot. works great so far.

That is the way to go.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Not applicable

Yep that is exactly what I do now and have done for years.

I pay $20 a month for 2GB of data using my iphone as a hotspot. works great so far.

That is the way to go.

0 Likes
richie72846
Novice

Thanks Elector.

So, it's $20 for the 2GB of data and another $20 for the hotspot connection ?

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

It's $20 total for hotspot with 2 GB data (in addition to whatever you are currently paying for your data plan) if you're on a tiered data plan.  If you are on a Share Everything plan, the hotspot feature is included and draws data from your current data plan.

0 Likes
richie72846
Novice

I am currently grandfathered and  have an unlimited data plan that cost me nothing. I assume I still have to pay $20 for the hotspot anyway, is that correct ??

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

An unlimited data plan that costs you nothing???  I've never heard of such a critter ... do you mind sharing what plan you're on? 

0 Likes
richie72846
Novice

Sure,

America's Choice Share 300 

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

Gosh, it's been a long time since I've been on an America's Choice plan.  I'm still assuming you'd pay $20 for the hotspot, but you might want to call Customer Service and ask before you make a decision about your iPad.

0 Likes
richie72846
Novice

Actually I seem to have better luck walking into the Verizon store down the street from me and talking to them face to face. That's the only way I was able to stay grandfathered when I switched from my blackberry to an iPhone. I was also able at the same time to switch my wife to an iPhone from an LG flip phone.

0 Likes
tikibar1
Sr. Leader
Sr. Leader

To be honest, I'm surprised they didn't make you switch to a Nationwide plan when you upgraded.

0 Likes