Phone does not send picture messages
pensfan0782
Contributor - Level 1

I have been patient since receiving my phone in the mail on launch day, thinking it was a network thing. But I've read online in some places that it's a hardware issue and a replacement phone would fix it.

I would say at least 80% of the time, the sending bar fills just shy of the whole way, and stays there for up to five minutes before getting the red exclamation point. That's with full service. The less bars I have, the less chance I have at sending. That's completely understandable, but the fact that 80% don't send at full service is ridiculous and I'm tired of dealing with it. I pay a lot per month for that phone and I think it should be able to do simple things like send pictures.

Does anyone else have this problem? I have one other friend with the Verizon iPhone, and he has the identical thing happening to him. 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Phone does not send picture messages
mefel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Kaebfly,  you are correct on all points. Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. Thanks for clarifying.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Are you trying to send multiple pictures in one message? That may be the problem. I've noticed that if I try to send too many pics in one message it will do what you describe. I have no issue with messages with 1-4 pics being sent. Anything above 4 (if they are pics I took on the iPhone) and it will hang and then get the error.

0 Likes
pensfan0782
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks, but I am only trying to send one at a time. It sounds like you never have any problems with sending single pictures so maybe my phone does have an actual problem.

0 Likes
mefel
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've been having the same issue with my iPhone as of late. I received picture messages fine but when sending I would get that same frustrating bar that didn't transfer all the way and then the red exclamation point would pop up.  I spoke with Apple and Verizon reps 3 different times today.  After numerous attempts at making sure my connections were correct and verifying that I have MMS capability thru Verizon, and one complete restore of the device they finally decided that it must be a hardware issue and I need a new phone. Fortunately, I'm still under the 90 day return policy (by about 2 weeks).  There are 3 options to get a replacement. 1) schedule an appointment at a nearby Apple store 2) Pay $29 and they will ship a new phone to you. 3) Pay $69 and they will ship a new phone with you and you will also be covered for an additional 2 years under the Apple Care plan. The Apple Care plan covers any additional hardware issues you might have for the next 2 years without paying any additional out of pocket fees. For options 2 and 3 they require a credit/debit card and they will add a pending charge to your account for the full price of the phone ($599) until they receive the defective device back. When they ship the new phone to you they also provide the packaging to ship the old phone back. Once they receive the old phone back they will remove the $599 pending charge from your credit card. I chose Option 3 since I was planning on adding the Apple Care to my phone anyway. (especially after the issues I went through today). It certainly wasn't the result that I was hoping for but if it fixes the picture messaging problem I will be happy again. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

mefel wrote:

I've been having the same issue with my iPhone as of late. I received picture messages fine but when sending I would get that same frustrating bar that didn't transfer all the way and then the red exclamation point would pop up.  I spoke with Apple and Verizon reps 3 different times today.  After numerous attempts at making sure my connections were correct and verifying that I have MMS capability thru Verizon, and one complete restore of the device they finally decided that it must be a hardware issue and I need a new phone. Fortunately, I'm still under the 90 day return policy (by about 2 weeks).  There are 3 options to get a replacement. 1) schedule an appointment at a nearby Apple store 2) Pay $29 and they will ship a new phone to you. 3) Pay $69 and they will ship a new phone with you and you will also be covered for an additional 2 years under the Apple Care plan. The Apple Care plan covers any additional hardware issues you might have for the next 2 years without paying any additional out of pocket fees. For options 2 and 3 they require a credit/debit card and they will add a pending charge to your account for the full price of the phone ($599) until they receive the defective device back. When they ship the new phone to you they also provide the packaging to ship the old phone back. Once they receive the old phone back they will remove the $599 pending charge from your credit card. I chose Option 3 since I was planning on adding the Apple Care to my phone anyway. (especially after the issues I went through today). It certainly wasn't the result that I was hoping for but if it fixes the picture messaging problem I will be happy again. Hope this helps.

I think (unless something has drastically changed) that a replacement for a defective or warranty covered issue is valid far past 90 days. It should be for 1 year...the 90 days is for phone support if I am not mistaken....which can be extended to 2 years if you opt to purchase Apple Care. Apple Care can be purchased any time during the original 1 year period. And unless they have changed it you won't be actually charged the full price on your credit or debit card unless you don't return the defective phone within a set amount of days. I have never been charged full retail for a warranty replacement of any Apple product...not even temporarily. At any rate, hopefully this will work out for you.

0 Likes
mefel
Enthusiast - Level 1

Kaebfly,  you are correct on all points. Sorry, I should have been more descriptive. Thanks for clarifying.

0 Likes
pensfan0782
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks to the both of you. After reading the first long post I was confused as well, because I thought the handset was covered through 1 year by default. I began to get worried when I read 90 days.

I'm kind of surprised this isn't a universal problem for Verizon iPhone users. I thought all along that I was struggling with the same issues as everyone else. So it sounds like it's worth looking into. I wouldn't mind getting a new phone... Mine's got two small, but rather annoying scratches on the front haha.

0 Likes
Penguin40

I had this issue happen to me all Memorial Day weekend!

I tried all Saturday afternoon to send 1 picture after 6 failed attempts I gave up.

It also happened all day yesterday too.

What do I do? I did not purchase Apple Car.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Penguin40 wrote:

I had this issue happen to me all Memorial Day weekend!

I tried all Saturday afternoon to send 1 picture after 6 failed attempts I gave up.

It also happened all day yesterday too.

What do I do? I did not purchase Apple Car.

It's possible the issue was a congested network during the holiday weekend (assuming this is the only time the issue existted) but if you're concerned the issue is something more you might want to try contacting VZW tech support or if you are near an Apple store visit the Genius Bar to have them take a look at it. You are still within the 1 year warranty so Apple Care is not a necessity to get help with possible warranty issues. It does however extend your warranty an extra year and provides 2 years of phone support if I remember correctly. You can also try the usual fixes if you haven't already to see if they help. Have you tried restarting or resetting your iPhone?

0 Likes
Penguin40

I just called Verizon tech support. The first person had me update my PRL? and also hold down the home and on/off button.

It still didn't work. I will go to an Apple store tomorrow after work.

0 Likes