Re: Pix-Flix Usage
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I do remember the tech. rep. said it may depend on what IOS version is installed on the phone.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I worded that incorrectly, I said   >> with text in the data field, << I should have said with text in the subject field.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

richie72846 wrote:

I do remember the tech. rep. said it may depend on what IOS version is installed on the phone.

Do you have the latest iOS version on your iPhone? If not, do the update and see what happens. Both phones I tested have the latest iOS so if this is really correct and you don't have the latest iOS then that may be the "fix" to your issue.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

>> Do you have the latest iOS version on your iPhone? <<

No, and not sure if I want to. Read too many horror stories here on the forum from people who tried to install it. I'm from the school that says if it ain't broke don't fix it. Also not sure if I want to learn a whole new operating system. I'm pleased with what I've got.

0 Likes
Not applicable

richie72846 wrote:

OK.  I have figured out part of the mystery and it is an iPhone thing. Proved it by trying it on my daughters iPhone and her husbands iPhone. Here's what I have found so far. If under "settings"  in "messages" you have "show subject field" turned on and send a message with text in the data field, the message is sent as an MMS pix/flix and not an SMS text.

richie

Hello Richie & everyone in the community trying to figure out this mystery!

Richie, you are correct in what caused the messages to be sent as a MMS (multimedia message). A standard text message is 160 characters or under, with no special characters, graphics or a subject field. If you have the subject field turned on this will turn the message into a picture message. You can think of this like the subject field in an email. Regular text (SMS) messages do not have a subject field. Another thing that can turn SMS to MMS messages when you are sending messages to multiple people at once, is if Group Messaging is turned on. Group Messaging allows you to send messages to multiple people and for them to see each others replies also. 

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

richie72846 wrote:

>> Do you have the latest iOS version on your iPhone? <<

No, and not sure if I want to. Read too many horror stories here on the forum from people who tried to install it. I'm from the school that says if it ain't broke don't fix it. Also not sure if I want to learn a whole new operating system. I'm pleased with what I've got.

You wouldn't be learning a new operating system as the core parts of the iOS remain the same. New features are added but the rest of the features are the same. As far as horror stories go...for a lot of people that had trouble installing the issue was not the iOS install itself but various things...when the iOS update was first released a lot of the "issues" had to do with heavy traffic on the servers. Also, some issues were associated with the computers and it's software playing well (ie virus protectection software interfering, not having compatiable OS on the PC being used, not updating iTunes before attempting to upgrade the iOS, etc). In general, the upgrading process doesn't cause any horror stories. At any rate, it's a personal choice if you don't want to upgrade, but be aware in the future if you do have any trouble with your iPhone that requires tech support from VZW or Apple you will have to upgrade your iOS to the most current version if the basic troubleshooting steps don't resolve the issue (reset, restart, restore). If you're lucky enough to have Verizon continue to give you extra text limits despite the fact that you choose to keep the settings in a manner that change the sms to an mms then you really don't have to worry about doing anything, but if they decide that the billing is correct and do not allow you to have the extra then you might want to consider some of the solutions suggested. Whichever you choose, good luck! Perhaps one day you will feel comfortable enough to upgrade iOS and take advantage of the newest features (if you know other iPhone users the iMessage feature alone will benefit you since iMessages won't go against your text limit and can help eliminate any worry of going over).

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

MarquiaF_VZW,

Thanks so much for pointing that out, I knew I wasn't crazy.

Kaebfly,

You bring up some good points about IOS 5.  I may just go ahead and install it. When you update to a new OS and if don't like it, can you revert back to the previous one ?

richie

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

richie72846 wrote:

MarquiaF_VZW,

Thanks so much for pointing that out, I knew I wasn't crazy.

Kaebfly,

You bring up some good points about IOS 5.  I may just go ahead and install it. When you update to a new OS and if don't like it, can you revert back to the previous one ?

richie

Officially, Apple does not support downgrading of iOS so assuming you aren't using some sort of frowned upon options (ie the method that usually gets edited out if the name is posted) then no, you can't downgrade back to your previous iOS to the best of my knowledge. If you're near an Apple store or a VZW store that has an iPhone 4 or 4s on display with iOS 5 on it then you can go test out the display to get an idea of what you would have with the upgrade prior to upgrading on your own device. You can also check to see if anyone you know with iOS 5 will let you try things out on their device. In general, iOS 5 on an iPhone 4s would be the same as it would be on an iPhone 4 (excluding actual differences in the 2 devices such as the camera and the chip) so you can get a pretty good idea testing iOS 5 on either device.

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

OK

Last night I went ahead and installed 5.0.  It went well except for a few minor glitches that I easily corrected. So far I haven't noticed any difference between this and 4.0. But of course I really haven't had a chance to use it much.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

richie72846 wrote:

OK

Last night I went ahead and installed 5.0.  It went well except for a few minor glitches that I easily corrected. So far I haven't noticed any difference between this and 4.0. But of course I really haven't had a chance to use it much.

Some of the differences would be the addition of features not previously available. iMessage, more ability to customize sounds, the ability to edit pictures on the iPhone (although it is pretty basic, such as crop and color correction...and a red-eye removal option), the ability to use iCloud to sync and store data....you can read about all of the features on the Apple site.

0 Likes