Police scanner data usage
bosn
Enthusiast - Level 2

My wife has a Iphone 4s with a 2GB data package. She is considering downloading a police scanner app. If she listens to this scanner 8 hours a day, how long would it take her to reach her data limit? ( It won't be 8 hours. Just using this as a calculation guide )

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Police scanner data usage
Spiral
Master - Level 1

Very difficult for us to estimate not even knowing the name of the app.  I would recommend asking the app developer that question.  Another option would be to ask other users (maybe look at reviews) of the app to get an idea of the data usage.

I would not think a scanner app would be constantly streaming/downloading data (like pandora or iheartradio) but only use data when the channel was active.  If that is indeed the case, the data use would vary and could be somewhat unpredictable.

0 Likes
bosn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thinking about the 5.0 Radio Scanner app from ITunes. Size 6.5mb in size...Reviews not at all helpful in regards to my question.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

depending on the format used to transmit.  It could take a couple of hours to 3 weeks.  Best to ask the developers on what format they use.

bosn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Isn't anyone out there that has downloaded a police scanner app?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

I already told you the answer.  You have to ask the developer what format they use, and if it's high def audio.

0 Likes
bosn
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe if you took the time to read my last question Mr. "Gold" Tidbits, you would see I was mereley asking for other users experience with these apps, if there were any. Did not appreciate your " I already told you the answer" retort.

budone
Legend

I use a scanner program, but at the same time I use other apps. I have an app that tells me how much data has been used, but I have no idea how many minutes I used of it.

I do know I do not listen alot, but in March I have used 8MB

UPDATE: On another app it does show the time used. The 8MB was used in 1hr55m34s

Hope this helps

0 Likes
B33
Legend

@bosn: I am using Scanner Pro by Gordon Edwards it'a paid App $2.99 but on my plans there Unlimited so i don't have to worry much.. An if your worried about going over your Data min. just get them bumped up to 4Gig data plan. An is one of the good guys on here he might say it like it Is. But he will be there to help ya when you really need it. K

0 Likes
budone
Legend

B33 wrote:

@bosn: I am using Scanner Pro by Gordon Edwards it'a paid App $2.99 but on my plans there Unlimited so i don't have to worry much.. An if your worried about going over your Data min. just get them bumped up to 4Gig data plan. An Tidbits is one of the good guys on here he might say it like it Is. But he will be there to help ya when you really need it. K

FYI, switching to a 4G device will not help any if they did not have an unlimited plan to begin with

0 Likes