Preparing my data for easy transfer from BB to iPhone 4S - Apple Product Virgin
dt19086

Hi,

I've been reading some helpful answers to other questions I have as I await delivery of my new iPhone. Thank you to all who have asked and answered!

I have a BB for too long. I've had data synching problems with it for quite some time. I need to manually clean up my contacts before I make any attempt to migrate my data to my new iP4S.

I've been reading about iTunes and iCloud. I'm confused as to which one will do what I need to do simply so I can function with my new phone. Over time, I may have different needs - since the iPhone offers a really new experience for me - but for now, I just want to make sure I can contact whom I need to contact and don't miss any appointments.

I have an iPOD also but right now, am not thinking about transferring my music until I'm comfortable just using the 4S as a phone & calendar. One thing at a time.... the touchscreen alone isn't an easy transition.

So, my basic question is this:

In order to migrate contacts and calendar, and text messages [from both BBMessenger  & crunchSMS], what's the best way to go? iTunes? iCloud?  **I do use Outlook on my PC to manage my email accounts, if that matters**

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me some suggestions!!

DT

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Preparing my data for easy transfer from BB to iPhone 4S - Apple Product Virgin
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

I would suggest using iTunes to do it...you will be able to sync Outlook with iTunes and get your contacts and calendar. Using iTunes is the method I orinally used when I came from the BB, which was before the iCloud service was created so for me that seems like the most reliable method. Someone else may feel like using iCloud initially may be the best choice.  You will NOT be able to get your SMS and BB Messenger texts. I am not aware of any method that will transfer those messages to your iPhone at all. You can forwards your sms and BBM's to your email if you want or you can search for the various extraction methods to get your BBM's and sms from your BB backups but I don't think you can transfer them to your iPhone so that they show up in the messages app of the iPhone. You can try doing an internet search to see if any suggestions are made on that though.
0 Likes
Re: Preparing my data for easy transfer from BB to iPhone 4S - Apple Product Virgin
fokrab
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is what I did. Using Blackberry Desktop Manager synch your contacts from the Blackberry to Outlook or similar product that will be recognized by iTunes. Once that is done your Outlook Contacts will be populated. Then synch your new iPhone with iTunes but make sure you check the box under "Info" that says copy information from this computer to contacts on the device. Do this the first synch only. Now your contacts are on the iPhone. Changes made to either contacts listing will be made to the other on subsequent synchs (iphone and iTunes).

Now if you turn on iCloud on the device; iTunes will turn off the contact synch between iTunes and iPhone. If you want to synch again to iTunes turn off the iCloud Contacts service. If not you will have two groups of the same data on your device. You will get a warning if you do not turn off iCloud.    

Hope this helps

0 Likes
digitard

One thing I tend to like to do is setup a Gmail account.

Then download the client and sync your contacts to your new GMail account (or old) from your phone. 

This way they're stored off phone as well right out of the gate.

When you setup your iPhone there's an option to restore it from gmail (in itunes) and if you do that it'll pull them all back.  This way anytime if you ever switch phones your #'s are on a 3rd party service and should you change iPhones, or even go to another phone, most of them all support syncing contacts with gmail.

0 Likes
dt19086

Well..... My phone arrived today and I've been unsuccessful at synching my data on my BB to my Outlook so I can upload contacts & calendar to my new iPhone.

I'm dying to use this thing but am stuck until I can be sure all my data will migrate to my iPhone.

If only I could sync directly from one phone to the other!

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what I'll try. I'm heading over to Verizon to see what they suggest.

DT

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

dt19086 wrote:

Well..... My phone arrived today and I've been unsuccessful at synching my data on my BB to my Outlook so I can upload contacts & calendar to my new iPhone.

I'm dying to use this thing but am stuck until I can be sure all my data will migrate to my iPhone.

If only I could sync directly from one phone to the other!

Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what I'll try. I'm heading over to Verizon to see what they suggest.

DT

Are you using the BB Desktop manager to complete the syncing process? If not, you need to. Also make sure you  have the most up-to-date BB Desktop Manager (go to the BB website to make sure if you need to).

0 Likes