Question: iOS4.3 and other future updates - how are they received
Michaelvzn
Contributor - Level 1

Hi,  In the past, I have had to manually download os update on devices (bb and winmo)  I have also had os updates pushed to my devices (driods) how does the iphone received os updates ?

Also is their a faq or knowledge base that i should be looking at for questions along these lines ?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Question: iOS4.3 and other future updates - how are they received
AZSALUKI
Legend

this is as good of a place as anywhere to get your questions answered. updates for the iphone will be manual as far as i know. you'll plug it in to your pc to download it. however, at this time the verizon iphone is not getting the 4.3 update. there are other threads here you can search for if you want to check out the banter on that topic. but yes...you will get updates manually. they don't push them OTA.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

this is as good of a place as anywhere to get your questions answered. updates for the iphone will be manual as far as i know. you'll plug it in to your pc to download it. however, at this time the verizon iphone is not getting the 4.3 update. there are other threads here you can search for if you want to check out the banter on that topic. but yes...you will get updates manually. they don't push them OTA.

0 Likes
Michaelvzn
Contributor - Level 1

is there a special place (link) within vzn or else ware ?

did some digging and it looks like it comes from itunes 

http://cellphones.about.com/od/howtoguides/ss/how_to_update_iphone_software_4.htm

thanks for the info

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

When you connect your iPhone and open iTunes, you'll be notified there's an update and it'll ask you if you want to download it.

I installed 4.3 for the iPad earlier this week, and there is a noticeably faster battery drain. I've seen posts about this issue with the iPhone on 4.3 as well. 

0 Likes
Michaelvzn
Contributor - Level 1

thank you, sydney. the insight is appreciated (was unaware)...do you feel its hardware drain based on os and new background tasks/functionality  running or non-optimized applications ?   Is a battery "i hate to use this term, recalibration in order" where you play the drain, full charge, drain full charge to get it back to normal ?

* will do some looking in apple land

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

I read a long thread at discussions.apple.com, under iPhone 4 (GSM). Went looking last night when I noticed slightly worse battery life. I'm sorry I don't have answers to your above questions, but maybe you'll find some there.

Also, I feel I should add, my battery life before was phenomenal, and it is still very good. So I'm not saying it's terrible ... I'm just used to going days without charging!  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
LCW

4.3.1 released today for GSM iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad/iPad2, 3rd & 4th gen iPod Touch.... but no CDMA iPhone 4...

0 Likes
Michaelvzn
Contributor - Level 1

thank you all for the information you shared, being new to the iphone i have learned alot to today, thanks again.

0 Likes
parkernathan
Contributor - Level 2

I'm sure software updates will be done in iTunes much as they are on the GSM (AT&T) iPhone. I've heard the reason the Verizon iPhone will be late to the (rest of) the 4.3 feature party is that the CDMA iPhone uses a different baseband firmware than does the GSM iPhone, hence Apple has to prep another software update for the CDMA iPhone.

I have noticed that carrier firmware updates are delivered over-the-air with the Verizon iPhone, which is a nice plus. When I was on AT&T, carrier firmware updates had to be done through iTunes, which is kind of annoying to have to plug my iPhone into iTunes just to download a small carrier firmware update. With the Verizon iPhone, I usually get the notification popup on my screen, press a button, and the carrier firmware update is applied. Much simpler. These probably also update the roaming capabilities and network carrier information since the iPhone can't use the *228 feature. That's my guess.

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Actually you still have to do the *228 to update the PRL with the Verizon iPhone.  If you do this (hit 2 to initiate after you've made the call), once complete, the iPhone will pop up a notification on its screen indicating that it was successful.  It WOULD be nice though if this was automated as with the carrier update to save you the trouble of periodically doing the *228 thing.  I've no idea as to why this can't be done automatically... doesn't seem like it would be that big a deal.

0 Likes