SMS Issue I Phone 4
rfaren23

I am having an issue where I text someone and someone else in my contacts list gets the text. I have done a master reset, done a complete restore and then got a replacement phone from a Apple store and it is still doing it. I have no one assigned to a group and also shut off group messaging.

In the past week I have called Verizon several times. Verizon sent me a DROID Incredible 2 a Blackberry Bold (older Bold) and both of those phones did the same thing. The text message even went to different people when I used Blackberry messenger.

I talked with Verizon again and they said they would give me a new number which would possibly help. I got the new number and again same thing.

When you talk to Verizon they say its a known issue but no one tells you whats being done about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: SMS Issue I Phone 4
allanp

Be Careful.  While our members are generally helpful and eager to provide useful information, be advised that Verizon Wireless has no obligation to monitor these linked sites, and is not responsible for them. Accessing any such linked sites is done entirely at the user's own risk.

0 Likes
rfaren23

Not understanding the" be careful part". I just want this fixed. I am hoping someone has a suggestion.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The warning was placed there because your original post has a link within the text that someone may click on and risk running into trouble.

As far as your issue goes, I've never heard of this but if you were told it's a known issue by a VZW tech then you should press for more info. Since you can't assign groups on the iPhone (to the best of my knowledge) that can't be the source of the problem. Why not try going into a VZW store and showing them the issue so they can attempt to work on the issue.

0 Likes
rfaren23

OOps sorry I just did a copy and paste. I did not know it would link both sites together. I have gone to a Verizon store and they said call tech support which I did. I am on my third new number trying to resolve this issue. I have read other forums that some people are experiencing this also but have no idea why.

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

There was a bug some time ago for Android that caused SMS messages to go to the wrong person.  As for the iPhone, I believe if you do things a certain way, you can accidentally tag the wrong person and that person will appear in the 'send' list instead of who you desired.  I haven't had this problem, but there are some comments out there that allude to this and how people can accidentally tag the wrong people.  I can't speak for the Blackberry though.

For the iPhone, make sure that the recipient list shows correctly before you hit send!  And then if wrong, backtrack and determine what exactly triggered the error... If on the other hand, the phone say that a message is going to a particular person and it goes to someone different, then it may be an issue with your particular setup with Verizon.  I have never had issues in regards to this.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

The Verizon Store you went to didn't have techs on site? If not, I would try another Verizon Store if possible that actually has techs on site. Sorry I don't have any other suggestions...

0 Likes
YaleK_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hell rfaren23,

I would like to investigate your account further to resolve the concerns you have with your messaging.  Please PM me your name and cellular number and I can check the status of a current trouble ticket or make sure one is filed. 

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

It may just be me, but something seems fishy

@rfaren23, you said that you had the same problem happen to you when you switched smartphones and when you changed numbers, and none of those changes fixed it, right?

It is possible that a smartphone could have a bug/glitch causing the smartphone to send texts to a different contact, but a replacement phone should fix that (and since you said you tried different smartphones with no luck, that can't be the issue)

It may also be possible that something on your account/number is causing the smartphone to send texts to the wrong contact (and since you said that you had your number changed to try it and it didn't work, that can't be the issue either)

Now since you have tried different smartphones and a different number and neither of them worked, then it sounds to me that other users/customers would also have these issues (either everyone with a smartphone would have this issue or everyone on Verizon would have this issue, neither of which is happening), now it may be possible that you were unlucky enough to get a smartphone that had that same glitch on every single one, but that would be rare, and highly unlikely

You didn't say what kind of phone you had before the iPhone, was it also a smartphone?

It sounds more like user error to me, all major smartphones (Android, iOS, RIM/Blackberry) that I have seen have threaded SMS/MMS, which is completely different than what is used on "dumb" phones, and previous "dumb" phone users that upgrade to a smartphone may not be used to the threaded format and may not know how to use it properly

What this means, is maybe while you thought you were texting a specific person, you were actually texting somebody else and didn't even know it, so by the time the message is sent, you think the phone send the text to the wrong person, I am not saying that is the issue you are having, but it does sound like that could be the issue, it's actually a pretty common mistake

0 Likes
Butterflynma

@Mikedamirault, nothing fishy going on at all and Rfaran23 is absolutely correct in what he's reporting. I've been having the same exact issue for the last few weeks with no resoultion from Verizon.  They simply have a problem they don't know how to correct.  I have the thunderbolt phone and I've heard from verizon and have seen from the comments on this and other discussion boards that many other people with this particular phone are having the same issue.  AND I do know how to use the phone and I DO send text messages to the correct person, they just so happen to end up with the wrong person and no fault of my own.

0 Likes