Should I Add Tethering Now, Or Wait?
bigj310

I'm interested in the personal hotspot feature my iPhone offers, but was wondering if I should add the feature to my plan before the new tiered data plans take effect.  When AT&T introduced their iPhone tethering feature, they required those who wanted it to switch to a tiered data plan, even if they were grandfathered in.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Should I Add Tethering Now, Or Wait?
Not applicable

Great question! You will be able to keep your unlimited data on the phone itself. For tethering, you will still have the ability to add a 2GB/$20 hotspot to your phone. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

If you fear the same thing happening, know that you intend to get and use the teethering, and don't want to lose unlimited data then you should add it now. If you decide that you don't need it you can cancel it at any time.

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

bigj310 wrote:

I'm interested in the personal hotspot feature my iPhone offers, but was wondering if I should add the feature to my plan before the new tiered data plans take effect.  When AT&T introduced their iPhone tethering feature, they required those who wanted it to switch to a tiered data plan, even if they were grandfathered in.

I just find this last sentence amusing. If they were forced to pick from tiered plans, they weren't grandfathered in. LOL :smileyhappy:

Sorry, just had to point that out.

This is a good, legit question

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

vereyezuhn wrote:

bigj310 wrote:

I just find this last sentence amusing. If they were forced to pick from tiered plans, they weren't grandfathered in. LOL :smileyhappy:

Sorry, just had to point that out.

This is a good, legit question

Probably were grandfathered in until they changed their plan. I don't think grandfathered in automatically means you keep that plan for life no matter what changes you make. I may be wrong though

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

kaebfly wrote:

Probably were grandfathered in until they changed their plan. I don't think grandfathered in automatically means you keep that plan for life no matter what changes you make. I may be wrong though

That is probably what they meant. I just found it contradicting and amusing :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

What's contradicting about it?  If an at&t customer wants to continue with the grandfathered unlimited data with no tethering, she can.  If she wants to add tethering, she must switch to the 2GB data+2GB tethering plan, and she would have to give up the unlimited plan.  This would be a customer having the grandfathered status, but choosing to give it up.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

21stNow wrote:

What's contradicting about it?  If an at&t customer wants to continue with the grandfathered unlimited data with no tethering, she can.  If she wants to add tethering, she must switch to the 2GB data+2GB tethering plan, and she would have to give up the unlimited plan.  This would be a customer having the grandfathered status, but choosing to give it up.

"When AT&T introduced their iPhone tethering feature, they required those who wanted it to switch to a tiered data plan, even if they were grandfathered in"

The OP was saying that AT&T forced customers to switch to tiered, EVEN THOUGH they were grandfathered in. That's what I found contradicting. Just the wording, jeeez, people. What kaebfly said is, I know, what the OP meant. I just pointed out the play on words.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i've read that the unlimited tethering is only for 4g current 4g plans and that 3g plans will be the tiered pricing. HOWEVER, i've also read that 4g vs 3g is irrelevant and that current customers could add the unlimited tethering plan by july 7 (i know...it's sort of irrelevant now) and keep it, but that anyone adding tethering after july 7 would be put on the tiered pricing. this is my theory.....in the past you could add or drop the tethering whenever you wanted. so you could activate it if you were going on vacation or something....pay the $20 for the month...then drop it from your plan. they way i understand it now is that if you want unlimited, then you needed to activate it and keep it and that as soon as you drop it, you would be considered a new tethering customer if you add it back and would be forced to the tiered rates. i'm guessing they are doing this to get people to add it for $30 and NEVER let it go for fear of losing the unlimited plan......just like tha phone data plans. just my theory though. many people are likely to add it and don't even realize they only need the tiered level (2gb).....but they will add it and pay $30/month because they "think" they need that unlimited amount.

0 Likes
Not applicable

Great question! You will be able to keep your unlimited data on the phone itself. For tethering, you will still have the ability to add a 2GB/$20 hotspot to your phone. 

0 Likes