Square card reader + Verizon iPhone 4s = cannot use app
badluckwithphones

I am a cab driver in a capital city in the northeastern US. I got the Square card reader in January, and used it for a while with my Virgin Mobile prepaid android smart phone.  The Square app worked for maybe two weeks, and then I couldn't use it.  At the time I chalked it up to having a crappy android phone.  So I put the square reader away for when I upgraded my phone. 

Two months ago I ordered my iPhone 4s  through Verizon and reinstalled the Square app on the phone.  For a few weeks, it worked flawlessly.  Then, sometimes I couldn't get an internet signal (according to the fail message) and could not run a credit card.  I question why, because today the app refused to work, two miles from the downtown area of the capital city where I work. Currently, the app is so hit-or-miss, I am lucky if I can get it to work 30% of the time.  I live in a densely populated city in New England with towers everywhere.  Verizon claims to have the best coverage, but this issue makes me wonder.  Other data-requiring apps seem to work okay, and malfunction very little if at all.  Not only do I leave cell data turned on all the time, but I also use a Clear wifi hotspot.  The wifi / 3G icon is always at full strength on the phone when I attempt to use the app.  I ask everyone I know who uses the app and reader, and nobody reports any glitches or issues except for my boss who uses ATT and says he has to be in a really weird, dead location to have the app fail.  Not practically in the center of our city!

I am super disappointed with the Square app, because it is a great tool for those who accept payments on the job.  The malfunction has cost me money and stressed me out.  I am not sure if it is the phone itself, Verizon, or the Square app causing the problem, which is why I am posting on this forum.  I have already contacted Square and am waiting for their reply.  The phone itself is a joy to use and I would have to say Verizon so far has been satisfactory.  I'm thinking the app is the problem but I am not 100% sure.  Should I uninstall / reinstall the app, or just ditch it and go with a different app?

Has anyone here experienced this issue?  What other merchant apps can you recommend that are reliable and trustworthy?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Square card reader Verizon iPhone 4s = cannot use app
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Well badluckwithphones, I hope you can start having some good luck with phones. Since your phone is able to connect to the internet and use other web based applications, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the data connection, but something in the application. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the application? Also, make sure to close all of your running applications often http://bit.ly/TomdWF in case something in the background may be causing an issue. If you're still having issues, I would suggest contacting Square again for further troubleshooting on the app.

MarquiaF_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes