Text Messages being duplicated and sent days later
bstraughan

My text messages are being resent days later.  When I send them initially they go through and then they will go through again two or three days later.  This is incredibly annoying and makes me look like a lunatic to the people they are going to.  It doesn't seem to matter the type of phone or carrier the person on the receiving end has.  What is going on here?  This also seems to only be happening since I did the most recent upgrade to my iphone 4.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Text Messages being duplicated and sent days later
Not applicable

Bstraughan, I agree that this can be an extremely annoying issue to have your text messages resent on their own. I have seen this happen to a few other people, but it doesn't seem common, and since it's random, it is hard to determine the cause. I want to try a few troubleshooting steps. 

1. First, soft reset by pressing and holding the home & power buttons for about 10 seconds until the Apple symbol pops up. 

2. Next, clear messages currently in your messaging threads.

3. Reset network settings

4. The last step if you are still having issues is to restore the iPhone. I would suggest first restoring as new and then just syncing your info rather than a Restore from Backup. 

Please let us know how these steps work for you. 

0 Likes
megclassy

I've been having the same issue with my texting. Random texts from 2-3 days ago are resending on their own. My text alert tone was also stuttering when I received a message. I reset my network settings as you suggested. So far the alert tone seems to be normal, I'm going to keep watch on my messages.

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Just curious...are the messages showing on your iPhone as being resent (duplicated) or are you just being told by friends that they received your messages again? The reason I ask is because if the messages aren't popping up on your phone as duplicates being sent out then the issue may be with the network and not your phone. If that is the case, have you contacted VZW (and made it clear that the messages aren't showing on your device as being resent but others are reporting to you that they get the messages in duplicate...also making sure they understand what carrier(s) your friends are using that are having the issue)? Not sure how much it will help but if it's not the actual phone that's duplicating the messages then it probably won't help doing the usual (reset/restart/restore/*228)...

0 Likes
letlove_0921
Enthusiast - Level 2

Another thing to make sure of is how many text messages you have.

I know I personally can go through 5,000 text a month. If I don't go in there and delete some conversations every now and than I have some funny things happen. Sometimes the text won't go through and like you said if it does there are duplicates. 

0 Likes
B10751
I'm having the same issue with messages being resent from my iPhone 4s. Very frustrating.
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

No one has yet to answer if the messages are showing on their phone as duplicates (being re-sent) or if they are just being told that they are being received more than once. It would help to know that so we can know if it's actually the device doing these duplicates or if it's the network.

0 Likes
melwin155

My messages are being sent 1 day later.  My phone does not say that they sent again.  It is other users telling me that it sent, when my phone clearly said either, "delivered" or "sent as text message"

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

melwin155 wrote:

My messages are being sent 1 day later.  My phone does not say that they sent again.  It is other users telling me that it sent, when my phone clearly said either, "delivered" or "sent as text message"

In that case...it doesn't appear to be the phone resending or delaying the messages. It is something with either VZW's network or the network of the receiver. I had this problem with certain people when I used BlackBerries....and it was always with T-Mobile users and Sprint/Nextel users. It didn't happen every time but it happened often enough...and sometimes I received messages late from them also. Both VZW and the other providers would blame each other so no one took ownership of the issue. I think I remember reading somewhere that in general sms is considered unreliable due to issues like that and it pointed out that although it happened more often with certain providers the issue existed with any provider. If I can come across that info again I'll post a link to anyone interested. At any rate, try contacting VZW about it and if the people you are texting are customers of VZW have them contact them also (if possible, you both can contact them on the same call so they can see a specific case). Even if the receivers aren't VZW customers it wouldn't hurt for them to contact their providers. I'm just not sure what will really be done. The first thing any company tries to do is pin it on the device and at some point they may offer to replace the device as "defective"....which doesn't seem to ever work. That takes me back to my theory that the device has nothing to do with the issue...or it isn't the main source of the problem.

0 Likes
melwin155

Thanks for responding.  I will contact Verizon to see if they can help

0 Likes