Told by Verizon phone would work in turkey, it doesn't!!!
Cadge

Hi everyone, my holiday here is almost over but before I go home and give Verizon a piece of my mind I am wondering if anyone in this forum can help me understand why my phone doesn't work here.

I switched carriers last year because of issues with not being able to use my phone abroad so this time I took my Apple 4S to the verizon store and asked the tech to make sure I would be able to use my phone in Turkey, not to call back to the USA but mainly to call or text my husband who is working here.  I have had the phone with Verizon for over 60 days so knew there was no problems there as I had been told I couldn't use it overseas until I'd been with Verizon for that amount of time.  The tech set up my plan to include the feature I wanted, or so he said. I even asked him to be sure the correct settings were on for data roaming etc so I wouldn't get caught with huge unnecessary bills.   I specifically asked him if there was anything I needed to do once in Turkey, he said no, your phone is ready to use.  When I got here my phone doesn't work, I get a "no service" message.  Hubby has shown the phone to tech savvy guys at work who cannot see why it doesn't work, any suggestions from anyone out there before I go home and raise holy hell!  :).

P.s. I'm not particularly phone or computer savvy so if this is a somewhat dumb question please excuse!

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Told by Verizon phone would work in turkey, it doesn't!!!
Not applicable

First question that comes to mind, did you get the Global Service Plan prior to going to turkey?

If not that is why it did not function.

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global.html

Good Luck

0 Likes
Cadge

Yes, the tech signed me up and it's showing up in my account, unused to date of course!

0 Likes
Not applicable

In the phones settings cellular data and roaming must be on. Is it? If not turn it on.

Turn the device on and off, try calling out.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Not applicable
  • Overview
  • Options
  • Dialing Instructions
  • Help
  • Coverage Maps

Rule Your Journey

Turkey (90 - GSM)

U.S.

Dial Plus Sign then 1 then ten digit U.S. number

Local

Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then Local Number with Area Code (if applicable)

Other Countries

Dial Plus Sign then Country Code then international number

Customer Service

Dial Plus Sign then 1 then 908-559-4899

Turkey (90 - None)

Customer Service from a landline

Dial Access Code: 0-8112880012 then follow Calling Card Dialing Instructions (below)

Calling Card Dialing Instructions: If you cannot place a call from your VZW device, please call Global Support toll-free from any landline phone using these instructions.
1. Dial the toll-free access code for the country you are in (See Dialing Instructions above).
2. After the tone, enter your Verizon Wireless calling card number and PIN. (Calling Card Number: 9085594899 PIN: 2392)
3. After the tone enter 0-908-559-4899.
4. The VZW Global Roaming Hotline will then prompt you to enter your 10-digit mobile number.

To check Voice Mail for a mobile number: Use the travel country to the U.S instructions above and call the mobile number. Press # to interrupt the greeting and enter your password when prompted.
Depending on your device, press and hold "0" or "*" to display the "+" symbol. The "+" symbol automatically inserts the exit code for the country from which you are calling.

0 Likes
Cadge

Checked my phone, cellular data is on, voice roaming is on, data roaming is off (advised by Verizon tech). International CDMA is on.  Still says " no service" up in top left of phone.  I did come across some info a few days ago but cannot find it again which stated that 4G network phones don't work in Turkey?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Phones are backward compatible. However for Turkey it states 3G/2G dual GSM you can find all this at the trip planner link I gave you.

I am wondering if the mobile data roaming should be on? You could try it and see if service is functional.

I know if it does work after that person said you were all set up to go I would be very angry.

Give it a try.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Cadge

Thank you Elector for all your help!  Followed your links, finally got hold of a Verizon tech help person using my husbands phone and found my sim was not activated for use here, she was able to activate it remotely, now have Vodaphone service and all is well!  I still plan on returning to the Verizon store when I get home and letting them know I wasn't happy with their service, not much use in employing someone for customer service if they don't know how to help the customer properly!  Again thank you so much, I really have appreciated your assistance.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Cadge.

I know how important it is to have access to your phone service while in Turkey, I apologize for the problems so far, but we're here to help now. There is a toll-free number to call from Turkey, follow steps here http://vz.to/1jMM7hd .

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes