Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Trouble connecting to home wifi
zoemonster

I just got a new iphone 4s and am having no luck getting it to connect to my home wifi. It does connect to the wifi at the gym that I go to with no problems at all. when trying to connect at home it keeps telling me that it is unable to connect, even though my home network shows up as an available network on my i phone and I am putting in the right password in. Ive even tried changing the password on my router and also changing the channel on the router as some have suggested with no luck. Also I should mention my laptop works great on my home network.so I know my router is working. Any help would be great it just doesent make any sense to me that my phone will connect to other wifi networks but not my home......Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Trouble connecting to home wifi
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello zoemonster,

Congrats on getting the new iPhone 4S! It's one of the most highly anticipated device of 2011 and it's my new favorite device! This is also one of the most versatile devices in the mobile market! The wi-fi technology is fairly easy to setup on the iPhone, which leaves very few things to chance. I have some questions about your situation and if you can provide some answers then I can better understand your situation. They are as follows:

1. Have you ever been able to connect to your home wi-fi?
  2. What security setting do you have active on your wi-fi network?
  3. Can you connect to the home wi-fi with another smartphone/tablet?
  4. Who is the provider of your home internet/wi-fi?

Also, I would like to provide some troubleshooting steps to get this resolved for you. If you have already tried some of these then I recommend performing the steps below in the order in which it is noted.

• Reboot the wi-fi router.
  • Under Settings > wi-fi > Wi-fi Networks, select "Forget this Network" and reboot the iPhone.
  • Temporarily remove the password to the wi-fi network and try to connect.
  • Change the security settings on the home network. (WPA or WPA2 recommended)
  • Perform a "Restore" on the iPhone using iTunes on a computer. (See link below)

As always, it is recommended to backup your information prior to completing a restore on the iPhone. This can also be done using iTunes. Once the Restore is completed, try connecting to your wi-fi network before transferring your personal information back to the phone. In doing so, this will help isolate what is causing the device not to connect. Once you have done the steps above, please reply to this message with your findings as another community member may find value in your discoveries.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes