Turn iPhone 3g into 4g
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

I was told by a sales agent at a Verizon store today that if I get an iPad Retina Display with 4gLTE and put it on one of there new unlimited plans that it will come with Personal Hotspot (WIFI) activated at no extra charge. If that is the case tell me if this would be possible. Could I then turn on wifi on my iPhone 4 with 3g and connect to the iPad with 4g and have a 4g connection with my iPhone ?? Does that make sense, follow me??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Turn iPhone 3g into 4g
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

I think you're referring to the Share Everything which is only unlimited talk and text but a limited amount of data.  But no, that won't be possible.

0 Likes
HawaiiBKC
Contributor - Level 1

Makes sense.

Use your iPhones WiFi to connect to the tablets 4G data connection, which would technically make your iPhones internet connection faster. Although it's not true a 4G LTE connection with the phone, you will be using a 4G LTE connection from your tablet.

Give it a try haha.

0 Likes
spitxfire
Contributor - Level 3

I thought about that more and I was like ok maybe that's possible, try it out and see!

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

Found the answer. NO it wont work because mobile hotspot does not work on the 4g LTE network.

richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

OK forget my previous post, I think the lady on Verizon Live Chat totally misunderstood my question. It's the other way around, hotspot only works on 4g. See this link    http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=41004&lid=sayt&sayt=ipad hotspo*

0 Likes
richie72846
Contributor - Level 1

This is crazy, now I'm told you cant connect 3g equipment to 4g. I guess I'm just going to have to find out for myself by trying it. Why can't these sales people get it right ???

0 Likes
Not applicable

If you have a 4G device broadcasting a WIFI signal, you should be able to connect any tablet, phone, or computer to it via WIFI, unless there is something going on that I'm not aware of.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@richie72846,

I appreciate you bringing your concern to our attention. I want to ensure that you receive the appropriate information. If you are using the Personal Hotspot on the iPad 4G LTE, this would allow you to connect to a data signal. The iPhone 4 does not currently have the capacity to use the LTE network. The iPhone 4 would be connected to the hotspot at speeds equivalent to 3G.

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

But, the IPhone 4 would not be using the LTE network, it would be using a WIFI signal.  This doesn't seem to make sense.  The IPad is using the LTE signal, not the IPhone 4.

0 Likes