Updated to IOS7 via iTunes and now I have 'No service'
DJHVA

Updated to iOS7 via iTunes last night. Everything went as expected. One last item via iTunes was "download carrier information" Should have clicked no I guess. Backed up my iPhone before updating. My iPhone was cleared completely (of course). Had to restore from the back-up. Restore was a success, except I have no service from Verizon. Do I have to restore the phone again?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Updated to IOS7 via iTunes and now I have 'No service'
Not applicable

I knew when I posted the alert on how to update to IOS 7 yesterday the flood of my phone does not work, my service is missing, I lost my ring etc. etc. etc. All these events happen shortly there after.

The easiest way to update was simply plug the device into the power outlet just in case the battery was low and click on General, Update Device. It took 1.5 Hours but there was no need for interaction until the Welcome screen appeared. I just set it and forget it. No hooking to iTunes (You did get the new iTunes 11.1 I hope) before you attempted the update?

I personally only use the itunes to sync music or burn music. Outside of that its useless.

Go to http://www.apple.com and check their support forums. Apple has stated many people have had issues with the update according to their forum post.

Good Luck

0 Likes
Kate929

I am having the same issue - either 'No Service' or 'Searching...' since updating to i OS 7 through iTunes.

I have tried restoring both Network Settings and All Settings multiple times, but to no avail. Sometimes after doing this, I will get an error message that says "iPhone is not activated. Contact your carrier." but obviously cannot call Verizon since my phone is not working!

0 Likes
djhinva
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi Kate! Sorry to hear it. I did spend some time this morning Verizon and then finally got to Apple.
Apple said this was not usual.

Here's what I had to do this morning.

You will need at least an hour of time. Possibly two depending on your phone size.

Make sure your iTunes on your computer is also up-to-date if you are updating through iTunes.

You're going to have to go through TWO restore processes. Be patient. It's not fun I know.

Power the phone off and pop the SIM card (use a paperclip to the little hole on the right side. Push hard) Leave it out for a couple of minutes. Then click it back in and turn on the phone. If your carrier shows up here, then you are good to go. Mine did not.

Hook it up to iTunes. Make sure iTunes is up-to-date new version (11.1 something)

BACK UP your phone. Computer or iCloud, makes no difference. You may loose all your music though this process (I did), so make some key playlists in iTunes first.

Click on the Summary tab select Restore to Factory settings.

Scary I know.

This takes a while.

Once it's done, follow the phone's instructions to setting it up as your new iPhone. Language, Find my Phone, Location services, Apple id etc...

It was at this point, I saw my carrier (verizon) finally appear in the upper left. YAY!

The phone settings will look different cause it's not 'yours' yet.

Log on to Apple with your ID on your phone. Then go back and turn off "Find my Phone"

Once this is done, look back in iTunes and select "restore from [your name] back-up" and do that.

Again, This takes some time. All your apps reload. Your photos etc... And your music may have disappeared, but you can sync it after that.

I hope this helps! If not, try to get a hold of Apple using someone's house phone.

Good luck!

D

twm53
Enthusiast - Level 3

had similar problem, iphone could not be activated, error msg: plug into itunes or call your provider. went on for a good hour of attempts using itunes or just using wifi and no itunes - nothing worked. I have a very restricted host file on my PC so I tried setting it back to the default (ie: just 127.0.0.1 localhost and nothing else), no luck. I shutdown my firewall, no luck, I shutdown a malware watcher, no luck. shutdown itunes and rebooted phone no luck. finally went into the iphone wifi setup and changed dns from my router to google - 8.8.8.8 - restarted phone... finally joy! It activated - yay!  I launched itunes and it was found normally - did restore (always backup right before doing any changes just in case - especially before a major ios update) - most all came back. for some reason, itunes retaines my old email addresses as store logins to get some apps so I had to keep putting in my new email and password for each popup that had the old login email address - it seems like it then found all my apps since they are now in the full list - even those I no longer use. I sync outlook with icloud and use imap email so all my accts, calendars and contacts restored perfectly. itunes lost the location for folder I use to sync my photos so I reset that and synced my photos, music and tones and all is back to normal - took several hours though.

FOr whatever reason, when I got the error could not connect to activation server, it made me think of the dns server for the wifi - not sure if changing it to google was the key or just coincidence and it was just a huge burst of requests coming in that cause time-outs and error messages. for whatever reason it finally activated - if nothng has worked, try the dns entry for the wifi, unless some expert chimes in to say I was a victim of coincidence.

0 Likes
Kate929

I was able to finally complete the activation after doing a few hard resets of the phone. I figure everything is overloaded and slow right now.

0 Likes
allaboutme07
Enthusiast - Level 1

D - you nailed it.. and I think the key was to remove the sim card... or at least I tried resetting to factory 4 times... still no service.  Found this thread.. followed every step... "Verizon" with 4 bubbles finally back on top left screen.  downloading all my apps, setting, etc. as I type.  Thank you again and I hope others find this useful!

0 Likes
DJHVA

Glad to hear you've got the problem solved! as long as you back up ahead of time, resetting the phone is not so scary!

Take Care!

Deborah

0 Likes
JerDog
Enthusiast - Level 1

D,

I had the same problem as well with my iPhone and then I follow the information you provided and my phone is operational.  I was able to get Verizon back as well as all my settings and apps.

Thanks for the information.

Cheers,

Jerry

Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Likes
shader25

I just did the latest ios 7.1 update and my phone started roaming. I was sitting right next to my wife who has the same phone and she was fine. I didn't do the new update on her phone yet so she was ok. I tried the things posted by other people to no success, so I tried the *228 verizon update and sure enough when it was done my phone went off roam and I had verizon back in the corner with the signal bar. You guys might want to try that first instead of wasting hours backing up and restoring your phone.

0 Likes