Using iPhone 4S Verizon overseas with local carrier sim card. Unlocking necessary?
Brainforest

I just bought an iPhone 5S through Verizon. Activated it and all is great. When I go to Thailand next month, I plan to use it since I need my own number for business. No problems there.

I also have a Verizon iPhone 4S which is now deactivated since 5S showed up. My plan is buy a sim card when I get to Thailand so I'll have a local number there as well.

I was under the assumption that I had to have the phone unlocked before that's possible. But... today I called Verizon global support and was told that all I have to do is take out the Verizon sim card, install a local sim (Vodaphone) and it will work with no problem.

Normally, I'd just take the guy's word for it, but I was burned by Verizon Global a few years ago telling me a phone if theirs I had was global when it wasn't. Caused many problems when I got to Asia and couldn' t use it.

Anyway, can anyone confirm this? Something about that seems far too easy. Again, I'm assuming I have to unlock the phone first. That in itself may be an issue because it's not activated at the moment.

thanks

John

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using iPhone 4S Verizon overseas with local carrier sim card. Unlocking necessary?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Sunday Brainforest,

Thailand is a wonderful place to visit! I hope to live there one day. We want you to enjoy your trip to the fullest. And one of the best ways to do so is to stay connected to friends, family, and love ones while traveling overseas. Having an unlocked Verizon iPhone is the best way to do so. The 4S would need to be unlocked in order to use with an international sim card. May I ask have you requested the unlock yet? If not then we can do it for you. Is the 4S activated on a mobile number? This is a requirement to have the device unlocked. IF so then please you can call our global support at 800-711-8300 before leaving the US.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Using iPhone 4S Verizon overseas with local carrier sim card. Unlocking necessary?
B33
Legend

Hey John i wished I had a quick Answer,  but just to throw out here have you done a Google search on using the phone Over in Thailand using a Local Card.. you might try that and there should be someone with a better answer than I can give but like i mentioned you might give Google search a Shot.. Good Luck Smiley Happy and enjoy the Trip..  b

0 Likes
Brainforest

Thanks, I've checked Google and from what I can tell I need to unlock it. It's the guy from Verizon Global who told me differently that's causing my confusion. 

I have an old global Samsung which I usually use with local sim cards over there, but no that I have the spare iPhone 4S, I rather use that. I suppose I'll probably take both and if the 4S doesn't wok, I'll have something to fall back on.

John

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Ok sounds good,  And give a check back sometime around mid day or later in the evening.. as someone with a better suggestion might leave a post...

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The iphone 4s can be unlocked for overseas use.  However you NEED to request it be unlocked from the Verizon Global Support.  The phone DOES NEED to be active on the line when you request the SIM unlock and you need to meet the other qualifications.

The iphone 5s actually is already SIM unlocked because it is a 4G LTE smartphone and global ready.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello and happy Sunday Brainforest,

Thailand is a wonderful place to visit! I hope to live there one day. We want you to enjoy your trip to the fullest. And one of the best ways to do so is to stay connected to friends, family, and love ones while traveling overseas. Having an unlocked Verizon iPhone is the best way to do so. The 4S would need to be unlocked in order to use with an international sim card. May I ask have you requested the unlock yet? If not then we can do it for you. Is the 4S activated on a mobile number? This is a requirement to have the device unlocked. IF so then please you can call our global support at 800-711-8300 before leaving the US.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Brainforest

Hi

At the moment my 4S is not activated on my mobile number because my new 5S is. I would imagine I can temporarily deactivate my 5S,  reactivate the 4S, have Global support unlock it then reactivate the 5S, right?

thanks

John

0 Likes
momonow

Hello,

We are on the same situation and I am going to Thailand next month too. I am trying to find out what to do to unlock my 4s all day and got confuse. Someone said I have to call Global Support to have them help unlock the phone which I did however, the answer I got is they can't do it while I am here in the US. I have to be in my country of destination, get the local sim, and call back from there.  I am just wondering how I am going to do that since my phone does not work yet. Then I decided to dial *611,called a customer service, and asked for the same question. Do you want to guess the answer I got? The customer service said they did not understand what sim unlock phone is and try to get me on a service for international roaming from Verizon instead. It is really expensive, $1.9 per minute. I told him that I won't take my phone then.

I wanted to make sure on whether or not I can do the sim unlock. I went to Verizon shop around my office. The answer is Verizon would not do sim unlock because warranty would be voided. Someone at the store suggested me to go to third party shop and have them unlock for me. Now I have 3 different answers which I don't know who has the correct answer.

And yes my 4s is still activated on Verizon number. Any help would be really appreciated.

Ken

0 Likes