Using the phone internationally
Linda_Noi

I have the international plan, and I was told that once I get overseas, I just need to turn off my phone and turn it back on then I can start using it. It says, "No Service." What do I need to do to get it working? I obviously cannot call Verizon, and the live chat will not pull up for some reason. It's very frustrating!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Using the phone internationally
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

If you really have the iPhone 4 (and not the iPhone 4s), that is a CDMA only model.  It cannot be unlocked and cannot be used internationally.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939

On what carrier and in what country are you trying to use the device?

View solution in original post

0 Likes
ttipgem
Master - Level 1

If you really have the iPhone 4 (and not the iPhone 4s), that is a CDMA only model.  It cannot be unlocked and cannot be used internationally.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3939

On what carrier and in what country are you trying to use the device?

0 Likes
Linda_Noi

Thanks for your reply. I have the 4 instead of the 4s. I'm very disappointed in Verizon for not asking the right questions before I left for my trip to France. Even worse, they went ahead and signed me up for the international plan which means that only calls can be made internationally from the US and not while traveling internationally and calling back to the US. I told that idiot that I would be traveling to France and needed to make calls while in France, and yet he signs me up for a plan that wouldn't apply to my needs and never asked which phone I have to make sure the plan compliments the phone. This was an absolute lose - lose situation with Verizon.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

In my opinion, you may have saved yourself a lot of grief since I feel Verizon's international rates are extremely overpriced. Calling rates on Verizon's international plan are a MINIMUM of $1/minute when in France.

It will most likely be much more economical to simply purchase a phone while in France to use. You should be able to pick up a phone and use it while there for a MUCH lower price, especially the more calls you need to make.

Good luck.

0 Likes
Linda_Noi

Thank you so much for your advice. I may just do that and buy a phone while here.

Best regards,

Linda

0 Likes
travelintom2004
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have always just bought a phone there when visiting México for two weeks or more.  Telcel and Iusa both sell cheap phones with 100 "minutes" for about $30 US and additional cheap minutes can be bought everywhere if needed.  For texts, telephone calls and even crappy cameras!  I don't know about smartphones there. 

0 Likes