Verizon Cannot Activate iPhone - 10 hours + so far
mrprice

Long story shortened - Have an iPhone 4s (yes, I know it's old it is only a 3G device) from my son to replace a failing iPhone 5.  Have been on the phone with Verizon techs, and mostly 2nd tier, for maybe 3-4 hours hours.  NO CAN ACTIVATE THIS PHONE!!  They have passed me to Apple - and, so far, no luck there either.

When I dial *228 to activate it, it contacts US Celluar!!  I spent 40 minutes in the Verizon Store - the nearest one is 90 miles away - and they got the same result and said they could not do anything with it.

The iPhone 4S is a Verizon phone - my son's old one that's been sitting in a drawer for over a year.  NO ONE HAS AN ANSWER FOR ME!

Been through the iTunes restore - that takes 4 hours as we are in the mountains of WV with no cell service.  No luck.

The apple tech is contacting engineering and hopes to have an answer tomorrow sometime.

Anybody have any ideas  as to what is going on?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Verizon Cannot Activate iPhone - 10 hours + so far
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Have you gone on to your account and added the IMEI from the device to his line then dialing *228? Did you buy the 4S from Verizon?

0 Likes
mrprice

I just learned today, after speaking to 2nd tier Verizon tech TWICE today and Apple tech, that I have to be in a Verizon cellular area, which is probably 60 miles from here, before using *228.  The nearest service area is 10 miles from me and is, most likely, a US Cellular area.  It is only the last tech I spoke with that noted the phone can only be activated on a Verizon network.

My latest plan is to send this phone to me daughter in a Verizon network and have her activate this phone.

That's what I get for living in the mountains of WV.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Ok. I assumed that you were in a VZW covered area.

*228 is specific to VZW. If you're not connected to one of their towers it won't work.

0 Likes