Re: Verizon Killing Unlimited Data Plans July 7th
rcschnoor
Legend

pappy53 wrote:

VZW is going to allow you to upgrade phones as long as you are with them without losing your unlimited.

I have heard this too, but so far it is only rumor. Nothing official from Verizon, yet.

From Droid Life

0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3

rcschnoor wrote:

pappy53 wrote:

VZW is going to allow you to upgrade phones as long as you are with them without losing your unlimited.

I have heard this too, but so far it is only rumor. Nothing official from Verizon, yet.

From Droid Life

Yes, it's not confirmed at this point that you can upgrade and keep unlimited. Hopefully Verizon will do what it did with Alltel legacy customers and let us upgrade and keep old plans until we change them.

IMO, this will become an issue when a customer wants to go from 3G to 4G, but that's pure speculation. I'm not going to worry about it this far out. When my contract ends in 2013, I'll weigh my options.

0 Likes
C_DM

rcschnoor wrote:

pappy53 wrote:

From Droid Life

Looks like it's more than a rumor and closer to being official (although nothing is truly for sure until the changes actually come about): http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/21/current-verizon-customers-wont-be-affected-by-tiered-data-only-...
0 Likes
SydneyK
Master - Level 3
Notice the question mark at the end of the headline? Never consider tech blogs to be correct until an official Verizon announcement.
0 Likes
24c
Contributor - Level 1

SydneyK wrote:
Notice the question mark at the end of the headline? Never consider tech blogs to be correct until an official Verizon announcement.

AMEN!

0 Likes
C_DM
Enough places and sources have shared the same information, including actual Verizon documents, to say that this is pretty much as official as it gets. Perhaps not all of the finalized details are known at this point, but the changes are coming as mentioned.
0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

C_DM wrote:
Enough places and sources have shared the same information, including actual Verizon documents, to say that this is pretty much as official as it gets. Perhaps not all of the finalized details are known at this point, but the changes are coming as mentioned.

To say that "this is pretty much as official as it gets" is just foolish and will lead you to mistakenly blame Verizon when you argue "but you promised us such and such in your press releases" when they did no such thing.

0 Likes
C_DM

rcschnoor wrote:

C_DM wrote:

To say that "this is pretty much as official as it gets" is just foolish and will lead you to mistakenly blame Verizon when you argue "but you promised us such and such in your press releases" when they did no such thing.

What would actually be foolish is for someone who currently doesn't have unlimited data but knows he/she would need or at least want it in the (near) future to ignore all of this and then realize no such option exists when they try to get it after 7/7. Better safe than sorry, as they say.
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

C_DM wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

C_DM wrote:

What would actually be foolish is for someone who currently doesn't have unlimited data but knows he/she would need or at least want it in the (near) future to ignore all of this and then realize no such option exists when they try to get it after 7/7. Better safe than sorry, as they say.

sure.....like those that ran out and got in iphone in february because "unlimited data was going away some time." now i happen to belive these headlines and articles to be true......but a LOT of people ran out and got iphones long before they planned on it, simply because they started reading that unlimited plans were going away and you had better get in on it now. that was 4 months and $120 of data ago.

0 Likes
C_DM

AZSALUKI wrote:

C_DM wrote:

rcschnoor wrote:

C_DM wrote:

sure.....like those that ran out and got in iphone in february because "unlimited data was going away some time." now i happen to belive these headlines and articles to be true......but a LOT of people ran out and got iphones long before they planned on it, simply because they started reading that unlimited plans were going away and you had better get in on it now. that was 4 months and $120 of data ago.

I think comparing those unsubstantiated rumors around the iPhone launch to these fairly substantiated probabilities that include actual VZW documents would be pretty much an apples vs. oranges comparison (no pun intended)--they are both fruits, but fairly different ones. People should evaluate the information for themselves and make up their own mind.

But, to say they shouldn't trust it and just ignore it completely, would probably be foolish, or at least more foolish than some might think it would be to sign up for unlimited data sometime soon before 7/7 to be safe. You can always remove the feature if you don't want it, and if it was part of an upgrade that you tried to do early because of this, you can time it so that it 7/7 comes well within the 14 day window you have to return your phone (and undo the upgrade) so that you can change it all back to what it was if it all truly doesn't come around when 7/8 rolls around.

0 Likes