Re: Verizon iPhone 4S SIM UNLOCK Tutorial
duxel

Hello I bought iphone 4s verison buy at ebay auction.

I live in Russia, Moscow. When the phone is delivered by mail, Local SIM cards do not work. Asked to insert original sim card. Please help unlock the phone.

I know bad English, and writing through google translate request to unlock

your phone for use in Europe. Willing to pay the costs.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to be a current Verizon Wireless customer along with other requirements to qualify for the SIM unlock.

Sell the phone you just purchased or file a complaint against the person you bought the phone from.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
bumb00

Planning to go to China next month and want to get a national SIM there with China Mobile and use it with my iPhone 4S.  I have already unlocked this phone with customer service a few months ago when I went to India but ended up not using it then.

My questions/concerns:

IF I arrive in China and buy a China Mobile national SIM in Beijing, then use WiFi to activate it with Verizon is there ANY CHANCE that the phone will start using CDMA roaming instead of the SIM I bought?  This would result is HUGE astronomical charges for me which makes me very nervous.

HOW can I verify that the phone is not using Verizon CDMA roaming on China Mobile instead of using the China Mobile service of my SIM card?

I will DISABLE all roaming using Settings -> General -> Network -> Roaming : OFF

You think that should cover it?  I just don't want to get a huge ridiculous bill for thousands of dollars when I get back!!!!!!!!  You know these Verizon guys will just shrug their shoulders and ask for the payment if that happens.

0 Likes
aa382851406

My friend returned, gave me a customized version of Verizon iphone4s, but I found, in my country, I can't use my country SIM card business. There may be a lock state. I looked, Verizon forum, is locked. Now I want to unlock, but I didn't in the network user information, I can't unlock. Thank you to help me, according to Verizon policies for unlocking.

My iphone4s (deleted MEID numbers from this post to comply with)

Thank you, thank you again!

Message was edited by:  Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do not post personal information including a MEID number on this public forum. It is against the rules as mentioned in the Terms of Service.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
aa382851406

Thank you for your prompt, you can help me?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

No, you NEED to be a current Verizon Wireless customer along with other requirements to qualify for the SIM unlock code from Verizon Wireless.. This is also a peer to peer forum where customers can help other customers. You need to contact the Global Services department of the Verizon Wireless Customer Service If you are a current customer.

0 Likes
chetstone

Why is this so confusing? I've read this entire thread, the whole thread in Apple discussions, the zdnet article etc.

It seems Apple and or Verizon did not design this process very well. My question is: How can I get confirmation that the unlock has succeeded? Do I have to take my computer to Europe with me so I can connect to iTunes? Some say wi-fi will do, but does wifi involve iCloud? Because I don't use iCloud (my computer OS is too old.. 10.6)

The Verizon rep told me she had unlocked it, and all I had to do was insert any non-Verizon SIM and connect the phone to iTunes. I expected to see some confirmation message but saw nothing in iTunes, and my phone says "Activation Required", and then

SIM Not Valid

only compatible SIM cards from a supported carrier may be used to activate iPhone. Please insert the SIM card that           came with your iPHone or visit a supported carrier's store to receive a replacement SIM card.

I tried two SIMS- had to cut them down -- both are expired and/or have no minutes on them. The first was an old T-Mobile SIM, and the second was a German SIM. I saw a post somewhere that said you had to Restore your iPhone to factory settings in iTunes, then restore it from your backup to see a confirmation in iTunes. I haven't tried that and I suspect, from reading the posts in this forum, that applies to AT&T unlocks, not Verizon.

I do see that iTunes reports my phone number as the old German number, but I'm still not sure if that means it is unlocked.

Again, how can I confirm it is unlocked before my trip and do I have to take my computer?

Thanks

Message was edited by: Chester Wood Update: I called Verizon Global again and they confirmed that my phone was unlocked, and told me that there is no other way to confirm until I insert a foreign SIM card when I'm out of the country. They said it doesn't have anything to do with iCloud, it just needs a WiFi connection. They emailed me the following instructions (he said "bricking" means the phone will go dark for a couple of minutes, then come up connected to your new carrier): Here are the steps how to complete the process for unlocking your iphone via Wi-Fi. 1. Connect the phone to Wi-Fi network. 2. Once connected to the network remove the Verizon Wireless sim card and insert the 3rd party sim card. 3. The phone will go through "bricking" connecting to the network. The network will display at the top of the phone.             Here are the steps how to complete the process for unlocking your iphone via ITunes 1. Open ITunes on your computer. 2. Connect your iphone to the computer via usb cable. 3. Once connected remove the Verizon Wireless sim card and place in the 3rd party sim card. 4. The phone will go through "bricking" connecting to the network. ITunes will advise that the phone is unlocked.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Good morning bumb00,

China is one of my favorite places in the world to visit! With such a rich history and culture, it’s no wonder that so many tourists visit the amazing country of China! What better way to stay connected while traveling abroad than with an unlocked VZW iPhone 4S! I am thankful to have the opportunity to assist with using an international sim card on such an amazing device!

Thank you for confirming that your iPhone 4S is unlocked as this is a critical step in using a foreign sim card. Once you have purchased a sim card from China Mobile, simply insert it into the device and power cycle the phone. Once the phone reboots, you will see the international carrier’s name in the top right-hand side of the screen. If you do not see the foreign carrier’s name after several reboots then I would suggest reaching out for assistance from China Mobile.

To ensure that your device do not pick up Verizon Wireless roaming while in China then you can simply turn off the roaming settings in the device. For the directions, please see below.

Settings > General > Network > Roaming > Turn off Voice Roaming and Data Roaming.

SIDE NOTE: Since China Mobile does use CDMA, I suggest leaving International CDMA on.

If you have confirmed the settings above then please test the global services and post your findings, just in case more assistance is needed from us.

Thank you…

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
nhgranite

I have a very similar situation to the one experienced by chetstone.  I called VZW to have my phone unlocked and I was told by them that my phone was unlocked and then I got over to the UK and tried to pop in my Vodafone UK SIM and it wasn't able to activate.  Then tried Orange UK prepaid.  Still no dice.  Tried both of the above mentioned methods with no success.  Quite upsetting really.  I had used my old blackberry from VZW in the UK with a UK SIM with no problems.  Was hoping this would be as easy.  Any more suggestions on how to authenticate? Thanks.

0 Likes