Very slow tethered to a laptop
britinla

Hello,

I've just upgraded my iPhone4s to allow me to tether it to a laptop. Both the data speed on the iPhone and via the laptop are roughly the same, so thats not the issue. BUT the download speed is about .2 Mbps (yes thats point 2 Mbps). I've tried different locations in Los Angeles (In The Valley and Hollywood) at different times of the day(s). And the speeds remains roughly the same....I've restarted, removed the chip and restarted, reset my network settings. Its changed nothing. Its slower than a dial up!!!!

Any suggestions please before I give up with Verizon.....just tried to contact support and was left waiting 1 hour. I gave up at that point.

Thank you. David

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Very slow tethered to a laptop
Not applicable

first the 4s is 3G only phone so you max speed will be 3G. Also if you live in LA that's very populated so chances are there are a lot of other people connecting to the towers on 3G also. Since mobile data is a shared resource the more users the slower the speed. But just out of curiosity what do you mean exactly by "upgraded to allow to tether". At any rate of you want faster speeds you'll need a 4G phone. If your in LA there should be plenty of free wi-fi hotspots around. Using mobile data can get pricy as a main internet connection

0 Likes
britinla

Hello Sirguy,

Thanks for the response. Do you know what kind of speed I should be expecting from an Apple 3s 3G phone?

But just out of curiosity what do you mean exactly by "upgraded to allow to tether".

I was charged by Verizon to "unlock" my iPhone so that I could avail myself of their so called "service" to connect my laptop to my iPhone in order to get the laptop onto the internet whist away from "home". I was quite shocked (but not surprised....) they didn't just allow this connection as part of the package like they do in the UK (02).

0 Likes
Not applicable

At best maybe 2.5 Mbps. Of course the 3GS has very little RAM and that could cause things to run slower. Also depends on how many other people are connecting to your particular tower sector with 3G. Being LA I would say probably quite a lot.

0 Likes
wushu2004
Contributor - Level 2

I've heard that cell companies treat their customers better in Europe than in the US.

0 Likes