Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, waived smartphone activation fee when you buy online. Limited time offer.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Volume buttons and sound are broken?
knothead997cdp

I have an iPhone 4S that I just got for Christmas last year. This morning, my phone started turning itself back on after I would turn the power off. To fix that problem, I updated to iOS 6 and did a full system restore. After I fixed that problem, my volume buttons no longer work. When I double-tap the hold button on the lock screen, the volume bar will appear until I press either one of the side volume buttons—after that, the volume on the lock screen disappears. Before I fixed the first problem, the volume bar would change up or down depending on which side button I pushed. When I double-tap the home button while looking at the home screen, when I swipe left twice to look at the volume, it's stuck on mute there too, and there's no way to turn the volume up. The little circle that I could slide to change the volume is completely gone. I can't hear the lock screen sound, keyboard clicks, or even the sound it makes when you plug it into the charger. My text alerts don't work at all. My ringtone and my speakerphone setting work but like everything else, I can't change the volume. The switch above the volume buttons is NOT set to silent. Can someone please help me?! I've tried a soft reset multiple times, syncing it to iTunes, and cleaning out the dust from the dock connector and USB cable but none of that worked. Am I going to have to do a full system restore again?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Volume buttons and sound are broken?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

knothead997cdp - I know that with the iPhone, they say there is an app for everything, but causing you headaches isn't one of them! Judging from the multiple issues you are describing, the master reset is definitely the best course of action to take. You may always stop by at your closest Apple Store for a second opinion. In all honesty, it just sounds like the update went corrupt somewhere. Starting clean should take care of it!

Let us know how it goes. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us!

Thank you knothead997cdp, take care!

NicandroN_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes