WHERE IS FACETIME!!!!!!!!!!!
DIMM

Don't let the people on the phone fool you! There is no limitation to CDMA that prohibits facetime over 3G.

From what I can tell, it is VZ being greedy and not wanting people with unlimited data plans to have the feature.

I HOPE AT&T goes live with it! That will force VZ's hand to enable it too.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WHERE IS FACETIME!!!!!!!!!!!
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

FaceTime was limited to WiFi before the iPhone came to Verizon so it's not VZW that's keeping it from us. You have to blame Apple for deciding (for whatever reason) to make it require WiFi. There are numerous alternatives to FaceTime if you want to use video chat features on 3G networks or WiFi (Skype would be one, but there are others)...plus, with those others you aren't limited to just other iPhone, iPod, or Mac users.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

FaceTime was limited to WiFi before the iPhone came to Verizon so it's not VZW that's keeping it from us. You have to blame Apple for deciding (for whatever reason) to make it require WiFi. There are numerous alternatives to FaceTime if you want to use video chat features on 3G networks or WiFi (Skype would be one, but there are others)...plus, with those others you aren't limited to just other iPhone, iPod, or Mac users.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

Just like kaebfly said, Facetime over 3G was blocked way before the iPhone 4 was available on Verizon

It's not the carriers that are blocking it, it's Apple, even the factory unlocked GSM iPhone (yes, a factory unlocked GSM iPhone is available in the US) blocks Facetime over 3G

The reason why this is done, isn't because 3G can't support Facetime, but because it hogs up bandwidth, causing issues with other 3G users connected to the same tower (same reason why Verizon dropped their unlimited plan), of course there are other videochat services/apps that do work over 3G (Skype, Fring, Tango, ooVoo, etc.), though unless you are grandfathered into unlimited, it will use up your data plan quickly

Now I can't get into this too deeply as it is against the forum's ToS, but it is possible to use Facetime (and other WiFi limited apps) over 3G using an app called MyWi, this app is not available via the App Store, but due to forum rules, I cannot tell you how to get MyWi

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Actually with iOS 5, Facetime is available over 3G (Apple dropped their restriction), BUT the carrier now has the option as to whether or not it's enabled and available for use.  I don't know if Verizon is allowing it or not (I'll have to try it and see), but last I heard Verizon didn't want to make this available due to 3G bandwidth concerns.  I don't know about AT&T or Sprint.  I'll post more if I find out anything else.  (note that all of my comments are based on non j<that which cannot be named on this forum>n iPhones.)

0 Likes
paulinefb

anyone know how to make facetime work my partner and i are both on wifi but cant facetime each other

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

You need to start a seperate thread for your issue since it is different than the one this thread was started for (if you haven't already). Also, you need to state what you have done so far to try and make it work. Are you both using iPhones or are you using other iOS devices? Have both been set up properly? Try searching the Apple.com/support site for support articles that specifically address what issues you are experiencing...if it is a known issue then Apple will have an article that will provide various troubleshooting options to get you up and running.

0 Likes