What happens to voicemail while temporarily using a foreign SIM?
luminary99

I'm going to Japan for about a month, and it seems that the best way to use my iPhone 4s is to have Verizon unlock it and then rent/buy a SIM card in Japan. I understand that this in effect gives me a local Japanese telephone number.

What happens if someone calls my regular Verizon US telephone number while the Japanese SIM card is active?  Does it go directly to Verizon voicemail or does the caller get a message like "this number is temporarily out of service"?

If calls to my US number do go to VM, how do I retrieve them?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What happens to voicemail while temporarily using a foreign SIM?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Luminary99,

Japan sounds like an excellent place to visit. I am super jealous of to hear of your trip.

You can indeed unlock your iPhone 4s for international use.  It must be a VZW iPhone 4s and it must be active on a line of service on the account.

If you meet these qualifications please reach out to our global support team,800-711-8300.

If people call your United States number it will go directly to voicemail.  You can access your voicemail by dialing your US number, pressing # when you hear your greeting and then enter your password.

Enjoy your trip! Safe travels!

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Luminary99,

Japan sounds like an excellent place to visit. I am super jealous of to hear of your trip.

You can indeed unlock your iPhone 4s for international use.  It must be a VZW iPhone 4s and it must be active on a line of service on the account.

If you meet these qualifications please reach out to our global support team,800-711-8300.

If people call your United States number it will go directly to voicemail.  You can access your voicemail by dialing your US number, pressing # when you hear your greeting and then enter your password.

Enjoy your trip! Safe travels!

NicholasB_VZW

0 Likes
luminary99

Thanks for clarifying what happens while I'm using an international SIM card.  After I submitted the original question, I learned that I could suspend my Verizon wireless service temporarily.  If I do that, will VM remain active or not?

As far as using the foreign SIM card is concerned, I've read conflicting information on the need to "activate" when a foreign SIM card is inserted.  Some say that you must sync using iTunes (which would be next to impossible, given that I'm going to obtain the SIM card some 7000 miles away from where my computer is) and others say that the iPhone must be connected by wifi at the time the SIM is inserted.

If it is necessary to connect to the Internet via wifi to activate the SIM, does that have to be done immediately on inserting the SIM or can it be done some time later?  For example, if there's no free wifi service at the kiosk where I get the SIM (or if I can't understand the logon instructions because I can't read Japanese), can I insert the SIM and then wait until I get to a place where I can logon using wifi and activate the card that way?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You're very welcome, Luminary99. I appreciate your thorough nature. I'd love to see you have a successful trip overseas.

The voicemail will not remain active as in users who reach out to you will not be able to reach your voicemail.

I understand your concern about ensuring that the SIM card is active. I have posted an Apple support article regarding the activation of a SIM card. The SIM card can be activated on either iTunes or through Wi-Fi. http://bit.ly/yX7u95

YosefT_VZW

0 Likes
_mit

Hello Sorry to interrupt in the conversation,

Currently I am in India, and before traveling i got my phone unlocked from Verizon global support and they confirmed that the phone is unlocked but still i am not able to use it with any other carrier in India although i have tried every thing possible.

Please help.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi @mit,

I'm sorry to see that you are having service issues in India. Please call out Global Support team for free to get your phone to work. Visit this link http://bit.ly/UAy184 for steps to call us for free from any phone.

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at www.twitter.com/VZWSupport

0 Likes
JustMe917
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi @mit - Were you able to use your Verizon phone in India?

I will be visiting India late next month and planning to use my Verizon iPhone 5 with Indian GSM carriers(nano SIM). I am hoping that it will work contrary to many issues and complaints I hear from Verizon customers.

My question to Verizon Support team - why is there NOT a single article that mentions specific to a phone which by default should have to be Unlocked GSM (for Global/International Services) - which we insert the SIM in for to work in specific countries. I know each country is different and each phone is different. I am specifically looking for using Verizon iPhone 5 which I am long time customer (8+ years) and yet have to go through the hoopla of so many issues. Call Global Support - yeah we do it, next we assume the phone should be working, but when we put in a GSM carrier SIM and follow the SIM Replacing and iTunes/WiFi connection - still many Verizon Customers have issues.

Rather than my rants, I would like to see a dedicated Verizon Support person from Global Services post or answer an honest answer - so as Customers dont have to go through all the issues when travelling abroad. Please do so and it will be treat for all your customers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there JustMe917,

I want to wish you safe travels on your trip to India. I understand the importance of taking your phone so you can keep in touch with everyone so lets get you set up.

The iPhone 5 is a 4G LTE device. All 4G LTE devices are already locked for international use.  All you'll have to do is input the international carriers sim card into your device and you'll be good to go.

If you have any issues after inserting the international carriers sim card I would recommend reaching out to that carriers support team for additional assistance.

NicholasB_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport.

0 Likes
JustMe917
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the response.

iPhone 5 you say -" all 4G LTE devices are already LOCKED for international use"

If they are Locked how can I use the international carrier SIM without being unlocked.

Please correct me.

Thanks

Sent from my humongous iPad 64GB WiFi

0 Likes
shutterbug07
Contributor - Level 2

Contact global department and ask them to unlock for traveling.

0 Likes