Re: Why don't people like iPhones?
TechThang

<post deleted per Verizon Wireless Community Terms of Service for discussion of moderation activities.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
iPhoneChallenged
Enthusiast - Level 1

I don't know. We LOVE ours!

AirJunky

The fact that your locked into iTunes for everything is a drag. Plus we run into websites that the Ipod can't run (Flash primarily). Ever get your Ipad to run any terminal emulation at all?

I have both an Ipod Touch & a Droid. I can make the Droid do FAR more than the Touch.

0 Likes
stealthmouse

I concur with a lot of that.  I think it basically comes down to two ways of looking at your device.  If you want something that is plug and play out of the box, gets upgrades automatically, and has one place where you go to get apps, and will work seamlessly with those apps and any devices/accessories also sold by that specific company, then iPhone is what you want.  It's easy and consumer friendly, and some people like that.  Apple will generally (in my experience) bend over backwards for you, even though they are now a giant corporation as well. 

On the other hand, if you like to play with your gadgets, and believe that there's nothing you can't figure out or rig up if you just have the schematics, an eyeglasses screwdriver and some super glue, you are definitely an Android buyer.  Not to say you can't just get a super high-powered Android device that is made for those people who want plug and play, you can.  It's just that you will still need to have some understanding of what the landscape of options is, because other than the Market (or I guess it's called Play Store now), there are a lot of other places where you can get apps, etc.  I think the talk of viruses is way overstated in Android apps, it's a rare occurrence.  Generally, the developers care about getting their code perfect and getting 5-star reviews so they can be at the top of the search queue and sell millions of copies of their app (or give away millions of copies and tie them into their optional paid apps).  For some of these apps, you might be a beta tester, but knowingly, as the developer will tell you if there's something not quite right yet.  And you can go on developer forums and be blown away by  the new Wild Wild West, and guys/gals who can root a new device a few hours after it hits the market, who come up with apps that seem so obvious, yet the OEM developer never thought to add it.  Oh, and just because Apple okays an app, it doesn't mean it's any good.  A worthless app that doesn't do its job well, even if coded perfectly, is still worthless.  I know, because I've tried to use some of them. 

You might also want to note that not only does the development community police the apps pretty well, they've also been the ones who've blown the whistle on a lot of privacy issues.  Apple with their non-disclosed tracking of their customers, and all the carriers with their bloatware, much of it also keeping track of your contacts, addresses, numbers, etc.  Though it may seem benign, it's not when the government decides it "needs" that information for some reason.  The last time that happened (that I can recall anyway), all but one of the carriers turned over data without a second thought, illegally violating the terms of service they had with their customers.  The one who didn't was Qwest. 

So the important things to remember: 1) iPhones easy, and you get what you see, or what they add, you're locked in; 2) Androids much more fun, but that's if you think tearing apart gadgets and putting them back together, so you can get a wallpaper of dancing cats on your display, is an important endeavor that may save the world : 3) It's exciting out there, stuff is percolating up all the time; 4) All wireless carriers are evil and will rip you off any way they can, and are unlikely to solve a tech problem when you have one (don't flame me, or I'll write a couple real life stories, that happened to me, as proof - and these aren't "I dropped it in the sink and they made me pay to replace it" stories); and 5) Put an antivirus program on your Droid - it's as powerful as most computers were a few years ago, it needs protection too. 

0 Likes
maxfrix

Interesting that the big iphone pitch is still the easy plug and play spiel. That was absolutely not my experience. Maybe it was the collection of apps I chose but my iphone was not as stable as my droid has been by any means. I nicknamed it the diephone because I couldn't get through the day without having to recharge, usually mid afternoon. Itunes is miserable for sure. I wasn't aware of it until I got my android phone. I got off the iphone bus at the 3gs. I had a few and thought they were fine until I changed service. I was sick of ATT's crappy service. I did a two week trial with Verizon and the Motorola Droid X2. Wow really hated that arrangement. Phone battery was dead in a couple hours everyday. Never made it to lunch without charging. I went in the last day of the trial turned the phone in and decided I was going to get a cheap pay as you go phone and wait until one of the carriers turned on service in our area that was worth paying for. I live in northern california in the delta in the center of the triangle created by oakland, sacramento, and stockton. ATT almost has voice service out here and no one has any data coverage. Having any of the phones out here is a frustration. I do know one of the battery challenges is leaving the 3g data turned on any phone because it burns itself out searching for service. Anyway I returned my verizon droid and stomped down the street thinking I was going to get a cheap pay as you go phone so I wasn't committed to any of these guys until they turn on service in my neighborhood. I went into Tmobile to see what their deal was and bought the cheapest droid (LG Optimus T). Their service was almost half the price of what I was used to paying and it was unlimited. I was telling the salesman about ATT trying to make this Mcell contraption work in my house. He explained most Tmobile phones have wifi calling built right in. For people that live in the fringe coverage areas, this is amazing. My phone works just as bad as everyone elses when I try and use it on the cell towers, but anytime I am near one of the business' wifi networks it works crystal clear. Sorry to get off topic by the way. I don't think the iphone has anything on the android and in my experience definitely not stability or easy operation, just the opposite has been my experience. Certainly don't hate the iphone, just don't miss it.

0 Likes
KEV815PAN
Contributor - Level 1

I love IPhone's, however I don't like the fact that my existing Verizon Wireless CDMA Only IPhone 4 recently started having a very slow 3G Internet Connection recently, (although I have seen other posts in the IPhone 4 Forum Complaining about this exact same problem, so today I decided that it was finally about time to head on over to Store.Apple.com and buy an IPhone 4S, even though I am still NOT yet Eligible for a new IPhone yet, and it payed out because Apple currently has the IPhone 4S on sale for $649.99 with a Month to Month Subscripion (for the 16 GB IPhone 4S), normal price is $749.99! 🙂

ASLgeek3
Enthusiast - Level 1

I once had an iPhone and I will admit it's a solidly built phone, great features, etc except if I wanted to do anything I needed to do with it I had to hack it, lose my warranty, and risk bricking it. I had a Blackberry for awhile after the iPhone but we won't even talk about that disappointment. My main reason for not continuing to have an iPhone to this day is that in my personal opinion Apple is no longer the innovator of the market. When the iPhone first came out they were top dog. One could argue sales figures so they must be doing something right but I seriously think some people by iPhones to say they have one (but that doesn't go for everyone some people genuinely like Apple and that's OK). Fast forward years later and iPhones are still stuck on 3G although every carrier you can purchase an iPhone on has 4G or LTE speeds. Everyone thought the 4GS would for sure have it but it didn't. And now that they have the iPad with 4G who knows the next iPhone may very well have it. I kinda felt like they got so comfy and content with where they are despite rising competition and just stopped being creative. Like hey we will just add an S to this phone and sell it like it's brand new and consumers (atleast the majority) aren't that easy to get over on. I'm just waiting for Apple to do what they do and that's wow us again with something never seen before. I don't know what it would be but I know they can do it.

And as for Android phones-- I've had HTC, Motorola and Samsung Android products and you haven't truly used an Android until you've used one that's pure Google no extras, no bloatware. I also think you have to look at individual phone manufacturers. Apple is Apple, they create the phone and the OS. Android is just the OS the rest of the features are up to the individual manufacturers. I find that Motorola locks down their phones alot more than the others and they all have their individual overlays (Samsung TouchWiz, HTC Sense, MotoBlur, etc). The overlays can sometimes ruin the experience though--which brings me back to having a pure Android Google experience.

I say Android or iOS you really can't go wrong. Two great companies and it just depends on what your needs are. I wouldn't let your experience with the Droid X be the end all cause it doesn't represent a good percentage of the Android phones out there and I wouldn't let the fact that some people are totally against Apple to persuade you either. I'd say go to a Verizon store and if it takes you testing out every phone they got do it to see how you like it, doing your research on the web (but look for unbiased opinions-- typically someone who can write a review without bashing another company). Or even better if you know someone with a phone your considering then ask to test theirs out.

0 Likes
Grothka
Contributor - Level 3

Hate to burst your bubble buddy, but standard full retail price for the iphone 4s 16gb is $649.99 (http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedP...).

0 Likes
Jamilw1989
Enthusiast - Level 1

i just got my iphone 4 and i love it.  especially threw verizon.  i just wish it wasnt so expensive and the data plan didnt cost so much

Susan05401
Enthusiast - Level 1

I love my iPhone, I have friends with Androids who have regular problems, one did a software upgrade and his phone stopped working altogether, or just freezing and/or features not working. I researched all the devices when I purchased my phone a year ago and really struggled with the decision, but in the end I went for iPhone and since then I've been so happy with it! I keep finding new cool features, never had a moments problem, it plays music and podcasts and there are so many small but really intensely great user features. I travel with it all the time, have dropped it on concrete and wood floors, accidentally ran it under the faucet, and it never had a hiccup. I love my iPhone!