Wifi Grayed out after ios7 updated among other things.
chrispy3093
Enthusiast - Level 1

So everything worked perfectly until I updated to ios7. Now my wifi will not turn on, or should i say allow me to turn it on. I have tried everything including a factory reset on my phone and still nothing.

When I say everything, I mean: Network settings reset, network settings reset with airplane mode on, erased ( ' ) from iphone name, etc. Pretty much everything I could find on the web relating to the problem I tried. I have also taken my phone to a Verizon store, where the woman suggested my antenna was toast and i probably needed a new phone... I thought that was pretty cute considering i could still make call's and still use my data on my phone. I also told her several times that it started only after I had installed the update.

Sorry to sound kind of angry, but i am quite frustrated. If anyone could help at all that would be much appreciated.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: Wifi Grayed out after ios7 updated among other things.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi chrispy3093,

My sincere apologies for the issues that have developed with your recent Apple update. I definitely want to make sure this is corrected. Do you recall how long ago your device was purchased? Have you reached out to Apple (800MYAPPLE) for assistance with their device? Please keep us posted, thanks!

MatthewS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
JanMcC
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem and I've owned the phone for more than 90 days, actually over a year so Apple wants me to pay for support!!! Excuse me - they messed up the phone with the upgrade, they shouldn't charge. I need some help because my phone is worthless now and the nearest Verizon Store is miles away from where I live!

Where do I go for support?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's see what we can do chrispy3093. If the issues were only caused by the OS upgrade, you can check to see if there's another update avaialble on the phone. A newer update was developed to help with previous update's issues. You can go to Settings> General> Software Update. If available, please run. Let us know if this helps.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
TonyaS13

I am having the same dilemma.  Not longer after I downloaded iOS7, my WiFi is also became grayed out.  I reset my Network Settings, to no avail.  I then went to Settings > General> Software Update and there is a version 7.0.2 available.  Problem is - I don't have WiFi.  WiFi is required to "Download and Install" the update.  What can be done to retain my WiFi??  I have an iPhone 4S.

0 Likes
JanMcC
Enthusiast - Level 1

After spending literally hours with support and following the instructions sent to me, I finally drove 45 miles to an Apple Store based on the recommendation of support. Keep in mind I had already backed up and reloaded my cell phone 3 times at this point losing my message history, recent calls, etc. I was told these could not be backed up and restored. This is a business phone so that didn't make me happy!

When asked if I needed an appointment at the Apple store, support told me "No, just show up". When I got to the store (Modesto, CA) I was greeted by a person who made it clear I was supposed to have an appointment. I was asked 3 times who it was that told me I didn't need one.

They finally got me hooked up with a tech. The tech was nice but came back and told me a (in my opinion) BS story that ios8 is more sensitive than ios6 and if it senses even a potential problem it will shut down wifi. They also tried to tell me that obviously I had been having wifi problems for some time which is totally untrue. They were actually telling the customer (me, a former techie who manages techies) that I didn't know what I was saying. I asked to go back to the old OS, I was told I couldn't do that, that I would have to find someone else with the old OS and do it myself (Hey, your OS upgrade caused the problem, not something I did - own up to it!) So the Apple Store wanted me to purchase a new phone at $199 since my phone was out of warranty and 6 months from a new phone with my Verizon service. I left the Apple store and went to a corporate Verizon where I had insurance. They are sending a replacement phone, no questions asked.

I won't go into all the details of my frustration, anger and disappointment in this entire situation but I will sum it up this way:

1.) My wifi worked fine until the upgrade so why is Apple refusing to let me go backwards to the old OS. That is NOT good customer service.

2.) If the new OS is more sensitive then there should be an option to turn down the sensitivity. I know of 3 others having this same problem and it smacks not of customer service but of greed from Apple.

3.) If your OS upgrade broke it, don't charge me $199 to fix it!

4.) Recent calls, text messages, etc should be able to be restored. Many of us use these to conduct business so to just tell me they are lost is horrible customer service.

Sorry to vent, but as a former programmer, DBA, System Administrator and IT Director I would fire a team that treated customers and upgrades in this manner.

Vent over!

chrispy3093
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yep that's the same treatment I got. It seems they built ios7 around iphone5 and neglected to pay any attention to older models.

I hate the fact I'm being forced into purchasing a new phone, luckily I have an upgrade so I can get into an iphone5 for around $100, as my insurance deductible was $160 for a refurbished phone.

And I can't use my warranty because I have some water damage from almost a year ago, which has nothing to do with what is wrong with my phone in the first place.

Sent from my shitty iPhone

Fanastasia

Hello Chrispy3093,

Just so you know it wasn't the upgrade that has your wifi disabled. It's an  Apple iPhone 4S common issue. I have had my 4S replaced 2 times before the OS 7 upgrade for the same issue that you have. I'm not able to turn on neither my wifi nor my bluetooth. After resetting my phone.

0 Likes
Numbahanna

Chrispy3093 & Fantasia,

Have you tried resetting or clearing all networks and data?

0 Likes
actionhunt

I had the same problem with my 4s did update for operating system and lost wifi grayed out.

Went to Verizon they told me to go to Apple that something didn't load right with up date.

Went to Apple they tried to get me to purchase a new phone telling me I had burnt out my wifi antenna.

Found somewhat of a fix.

If you have a case take it off. Use a blow dryer and overheat your phone till the temperature warning comes on your screen. Then shut off phone and restart after cool down. It came back for me. It still reoccurs maybe once a month or so and I do the same thing.

But this is something on Apple's end and should address to their customers for free.

0 Likes