can't send an e-mail
analisat3212

Every time i try to send an email from my phone, it says the server does not allow relaying. What do i do?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: can't send an e-mail
bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

Check your smtp settings and make sure your email, login, password, server settings are correct to your email provider and not whatever default settings are there.....

0 Likes
KinquanaH_VZW
VZ Employee Emeritus

Thanks for your input bigtitan. analisat3212, not having the ability to send an e-mail can be frustrating. I use my e-mail to communicate personally and professionally, so not being able to use your e-mail can disrupt your day. I found that other customers with your device have reported this as a known issue and removing the e-mail account and re-adding it can help resolve this issue.  What e-mail provider are you using? I have listed some general steps to ensure your settings are correct. I have also listed steps to remove your e-mail account and re-add it back to your device.

Steps to check e-mail settings: Note-Server addresses, security information and additional support can be obtained from the e-mail provider. 

1. From the home screen, select Settings.
  2. Select Mail, Contacts Calendars.

3. From the Accounts section, select the e-mail account.

4. Ensure the desired sync options are set to On.

5. Select Account

6. Verify the account information. 

• Name

• Address

• Description

7.   Verify the incoming mail server information. 
    • Host Name (incoming server) 

• Username

• Password

8.   Select SMTP.
  9. Verify the SMTP outgoing server settings then select Account

• Primary Server

• Other SMTP servers

10.   Select Advanced.
  11. Verify the mailbox behaviors below

• Drafts mailbox

• Sent mailbox

• Deleted mailbox

• Deleted messages

12.   Verify the Incoming settings.  (i.e. username, password, etc.). Available authentication settings will vary, depending upon the e-mail provider.

To remove an e-mail acct:

1. From the home screen, select Settings.
  2. Select Mail, Contacts Calendars

3. From the Accounts section, select an e-mail account.

4. Select Delete Account.

5. Select Delete Account.

To add an e-mail account: 

1.   From the home screen, select Settings.
  2. Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

3. Select Add Account.

4. Select the account type.  

I hope the above steps help resolve your issue. Please keep us posted.

KinquanaH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
iaherky

actually - your response does not solve the problem.  I too am unable to send e-mails directly out from my Iphone 4.  Previously as an ATT customer, I also wasn't able to send out e-mails on my Iphone until I switched my smtp server to the att smtp server.  With verizon, I have entered my incoming server and smtp server info correctly for my roadrunner e-mail account.  I can receive e-mail on my Iphone from that account but cannot send e-mail through the roadrunner smtp server from my Iphone - the error message says the server does not allow "relaying".  Do you know of a solution?  Your above answer does not provide one.

0 Likes
bigtitan
Contributor - Level 2

From what I understand, the "relay" error is a result of your ISP rejecting your attempt to use its server because it thinks you are spam.  Your ISPs servers will not allow the use of the mail server by IP addresses that do not belong to their network. Are you able to send emails when you are at home and connected to your home WiFi network?

In any case its worth a call to RoadRunner as it is their server rejecting your emails and they may have a solution...for what its worth I've erad that otehrs have had success using the following outgoing server settings, worth a try if you have not done so already

mobile-smtp.YOURACCOUNTNAME.rr.com

0 Likes