hello. If me, wife, and kids are traveling in europe and we have Airplane Mode on, Wi-Fi connection from Hotel or Cafe AND cellular Data disabled...Can we text as much as we'd like without getting charged?
EuroTrav

hello. 

Hoping a few can confirm my beliefs on our phone coverage data/plan with Verizon:

If me, wife, and kids are traveling in europe and we have Airplane Mode ON, Wi-Fi connection from Hotel or Cafe AND cellular Data disabled...Can we text as much as we'd like without getting charged?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: hello. If me, wife, and kids are traveling in europe and we have Airplane Mode on, Wi-Fi connection from Hotel or Cafe AND cellular Data disabled...Can we text as much as we'd like without getting charged?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

If you're able to text over Wi-Fi then you can text all you want. If you're not going to just remove the SIM card I would also turn off roaming capabilities JUST in case any of those other things; airplane mode, data, accidentally turn back on.

You should look into getting whatsapp from the google play store; it not only allows text messaging via wi-fi, but you can also use it to call each other over wi-fi. I believe you still get 1 month free and then it's like .99 cents for a year. It's a fantastic app.

0 Likes
Re: hello.  If me, wife, and kids are traveling in europe and we have Airplane Mode on, Wi-Fi connection from Hotel or Cafe AND cellular Data disabled...Can we text as much as we'd like without getting charged?
EuroTrav

Thank You.   I'll check into the Whatsapp.

0 Likes
Re: hello.  If me, wife, and kids are traveling in europe and we have Airplane Mode on, Wi-Fi connection from Hotel or Cafe AND cellular Data disabled...Can we text as much as we'd like without getting charged?
MiiHere
Champion - Level 3

With Verizon Message+ you should be able to send SMS over wi-fi, but you can't send MMS or text messages that are too long that get converted into MMS.

With whatsapp you can stay in touch with other people back home and send them photos (MMS) text messages and even sound clips. It's pretty awesome.