iOS5 on iPhone4 (Not S)
Yaeckman
Enthusiast - Level 3

As we all know at this time the current iPhone build for Verizon phones is 4.2.10.  We were never given the opportunity for 4.3 which included better AirPlay, Faster Safari, and other features.

My question and I hope a Verizon Rep will answer this.... On October 12th, will we be able through iTunes to upgrade our phones to iOS5?

I know that in the past Verizon Wireless has Handcuffed it's customers with outdated equipment.  For example as of now the Verizon iPhones have outdated software as we are not available to upgrade to 4.3.

Looking forward to thoughts.

Thanks,

D

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iOS5 on iPhone4 (Not S)
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Yaeckman wrote:

While I appreciate your comments, I have been told by people in Verizon and the cellular industry that It's actually Verizon who holds these things up because of not wanting to pay the manufactuers for the upgrades.  I don't believe that Apple will want to shoot themselves in the foot and not launch an update.  Do you know that Verizon iphones are the only devices that have not received 4.3?  Sorry I'm just not buying it, but I guess I'll have to wait until the 12th to get my answer.

Blessings,

Verizon iPhones are CDMA. Apple clearly stated prior to iOS 4.3 release that the it was for iPhone 4 GSM. Prior to 4.3, GSM customers complained because VZW had what they perceived to be a better iOS update...so at that time they claimed they were being mistreated despite feeling like they deserved more for being iPhone owners first. Also, what makes you think that Verizon or Apple pay Apple each time they release an update? Not sure if you paid attention back when they first started providing iOS updates but Apple (not AT&T) charged customers to upgrade to the newest iOS on some devices. This didn't go over well so they scrapped that idea. If any of the carriers were forced to pay each time Apple updated iOS you have to know that they would charge us for it to get it. Aside from us paying our monthly bills the carriers don't get extra money from us for using the device...why would they be willing to pay Apple for every update? Keep in mind that there are several mini-updates between major iOS jumps (how many did iOS 4 have? Including the CDMA updates...yes, we never got 4.3 and yes we never got some of the features, but we did get updates...regardless of how disappointing they may have been). Remember, despite being spoiled into thinking we are all owed updates to our devices we aren't. Once upon a time getting an update didn't happen. Your update was received when you purchased the newest device with the newest features.

Anyway, people will argue this forever. As mentioned, if you REALLY want the most accurate answer contact the source that can give it. Apple. Not sure why so many seem to be resistant to doing that. Apple will give you answers for announced products with announced release dates. It's the stuff that they haven't announced that they are closed mouth about. Otherwise, wait it out. It's only a week away.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Yaeckman wrote:

As we all know at this time the current iPhone build for Verizon phones is 4.2.10.  We were never given the opportunity for 4.3 which included better AirPlay, Faster Safari, and other features.

My question and I hope a Verizon Rep will answer this.... On October 12th, will we be able through iTunes to upgrade our phones to iOS5?

I know that in the past Verizon Wireless has Handcuffed it's customers with outdated equipment.  For example as of now the Verizon iPhones have outdated software as we are not available to upgrade to 4.3.

Looking forward to thoughts.

Thanks,

D

the decision to put an upgraded os on a phone is not up to verizon

please direct your questions to apple

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

As mentioned, as far as iOS updates go, Apple is the one that creates and decides which devices the updates are eligible for. Despite what many seem to think, Verizon does not control iOS updates. According to the Apple spec info iOS 5 will be available for iPhone 4. It does not specify for GSM models only (iOS 4.3 did specify this). If you want to get the most accurate answer possible you need to contact Apple either by calling CS or by calling or visitng an Apple store. Apple does not actively monitor their forums so if you post on there you my never get an answer from an Apple rep.

0 Likes
Yaeckman
Enthusiast - Level 3

While I appreciate your comments, I have been told by people in Verizon and the cellular industry that It's actually Verizon who holds these things up because of not wanting to pay the manufactuers for the upgrades.  I don't believe that Apple will want to shoot themselves in the foot and not launch an update.  Do you know that Verizon iphones are the only devices that have not received 4.3?  Sorry I'm just not buying it, but I guess I'll have to wait until the 12th to get my answer.

Blessings,

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

Yaeckman wrote:

Blessings,

verizon iphones are also the only cdma devices out there atm

they require a diff version of the software

0 Likes
nole62

Just after the Verizon iPhone came out, someone tore it down and revealed that it had both a CDMA and a GMA chip system in it.  Will they now activate it or will we have to buy a new

phone????

0 Likes
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

nole62 wrote:

Just after the Verizon iPhone came out, someone tore it down and revealed that it had both a CDMA and a GMA chip system in it.  Will they now activate it or will we have to buy a new

phone????

id say a new phone

while it has the chip, it does not have the antenna

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Yaeckman wrote:

Blessings,

Verizon iPhones are CDMA. Apple clearly stated prior to iOS 4.3 release that the it was for iPhone 4 GSM. Prior to 4.3, GSM customers complained because VZW had what they perceived to be a better iOS update...so at that time they claimed they were being mistreated despite feeling like they deserved more for being iPhone owners first. Also, what makes you think that Verizon or Apple pay Apple each time they release an update? Not sure if you paid attention back when they first started providing iOS updates but Apple (not AT&T) charged customers to upgrade to the newest iOS on some devices. This didn't go over well so they scrapped that idea. If any of the carriers were forced to pay each time Apple updated iOS you have to know that they would charge us for it to get it. Aside from us paying our monthly bills the carriers don't get extra money from us for using the device...why would they be willing to pay Apple for every update? Keep in mind that there are several mini-updates between major iOS jumps (how many did iOS 4 have? Including the CDMA updates...yes, we never got 4.3 and yes we never got some of the features, but we did get updates...regardless of how disappointing they may have been). Remember, despite being spoiled into thinking we are all owed updates to our devices we aren't. Once upon a time getting an update didn't happen. Your update was received when you purchased the newest device with the newest features.

Anyway, people will argue this forever. As mentioned, if you REALLY want the most accurate answer contact the source that can give it. Apple. Not sure why so many seem to be resistant to doing that. Apple will give you answers for announced products with announced release dates. It's the stuff that they haven't announced that they are closed mouth about. Otherwise, wait it out. It's only a week away.

0 Likes
Yaeckman
Enthusiast - Level 3

You are right BOTB.  Thanks for Jarring my memory.  So I guess that we will all be happy next Wednesday with iOS5.  Thanks for the reminder on that :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Ptmc518
Contributor - Level 3

The new iPhone 4S is going to be dueal band so the same software should be available for all I'd think...

0 Likes