Re: iOS5 on iPhone4 (Not S)
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Yaeckman wrote:

You are right BOTB.  Thanks for Jarring my memory.  So I guess that we will all be happy next Wednesday with iOS5.  Thanks for the reminder on that :smileyhappy:

Well...it remains to be seen if we'll all be happy lol...I anticipate complaints galore about bugs when iOS 5 drops. It happens with every iOS update without fail...anyone that frequents the Apple forums know this all too well. Hopefully, the bugs will be small and  the joy of having the new iOS 5 will overshadow it. We'll know soon enough!

0 Likes
honors21
Enthusiast - Level 3
The update will be available for the I phone 4 all features will not work the voice service siri will not work that needs the new Chip to work.
0 Likes
Not applicable

Yaeckman, thanks for your inquiry. I understand why you would want to upgrade to iOS 5 to benefit from all the great features. As previously stated, you will be able to upgrade to iOS 5 on 10/12 when it is available. Apple software updates are pushed directly from Apple. Apple does not charge the user nor Verizon Wireless for the updates. iOS 4.3 was made strictly for GSM devices, which is why it was not available on the VZW iPhone. Please visit Apple's website at the link above for more information about the benefits of iOS 5 and instructions to update your device. 

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Whereas the feedback is definitely in the positive for us poor Verizon iPhone 4 users promptly (if at all) getting iOS5, AFTER the iOS 4.3 debacle... (and no one can tell me that this wasn't anything but...)

I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT AND SO SHOULD YOU.

nuff said.

Now... being I'm fortunate enough to have an upgrade available next month, I'm going to soon be moving over to the 4S forum and start complaining about the incredibly slow (but reliable... I guess) 3G that Verizon has as compared to the 3G HSPA+ that AT&T has...  I wonder if AT&T will brand their iPhone 4S as 4G?  (They do for their other HSPA+ capable phones... )  Oh well... the next iPhone (6?) will likely be 4G LTE capable and then things will be equal again in terms of speed...  In the mean time WIFI connections rule (as long as you can find one out there while traveling out and about).

And don't get me wrong... I'm sticking with Verizon because as much as the extra speed would certainly be great, the reliability factor still carries the most weight.  I can still be bummed over it though!

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

dbbrass wrote:

Whereas the feedback is definitely in the positive for us poor Verizon iPhone 4 users promptly (if at all) getting iOS5, AFTER the iOS 4.3 debacle... (and no one can tell me that this wasn't anything but...)

I'LL BELIEVE IT WHEN I SEE IT AND SO SHOULD YOU.

nuff said.

Now... being I'm fortunate enough to have an upgrade available next month, I'm going to soon be moving over to the 4S forum and start complaining about the incredibly slow (but reliable... I guess) 3G that Verizon has as compared to the 3G HSPA+ that AT&T has...  I wonder if AT&T will brand their iPhone 4S as 4G?  (They do for their other HSPA+ capable phones... )  Oh well... the next iPhone (6?) will likely be 4G LTE capable and then things will be equal again in terms of speed...  In the mean time WIFI connections rule (as long as you can find one out there while traveling out and about).

And don't get me wrong... I'm sticking with Verizon because as much as the extra speed would certainly be great, the reliability factor still carries the most weight.  I can still be bummed over it though!

You do realize that AT&T couldn't brand their iPHone 4s as anything other than an iPhone 4s because...it's an iPhone 4s. Apple won't let them falsely advertise their iPhone 4s as something that it's not just because they want to.

Now...as far as the iOS 4.3 "debacle"....for whatever reason you're determined to believe there was some sort of conspiracy (perhaps not the best word) to keep Verizon iPhones outdated. What exactly qualifies it as a "debacle"? Wanting the update even though it was specifically said to be for the GSM models doesn't make it a debacle. It just means that it wasn't meant for us. Debacle is a strong word...and doesn't quite fit this issue. It would have been a debacle if it were announced for both CDMA and GSM iPhones but for whatever reason it didn't work and caused major issues ("debacle" implies a sudden and violent collapse, a great disaster, or a complete failure. An action has to occur first in order for it to become a debacle. Not releasing iOS 4.3 to us, although an obvious disappointment to many, is NOT a debacle.). I'm sorry, but saying that makes is a much bigger deal than it was. Yes, those that really, really, REALLY wanted to see 4.3 didn't get it, but let's be a little fair. 4.3 has existed for a few months...everyone's complaint about not receiving it wasn't based on a promise from Apple that it would be coming to the  CDMA iPhone soon. No one was mislead into thinking we would get it. It was NEVER said that it would come to us. Many hoped. At this point though, it's really time to let that go. If after the 12th you see they decided that we won't get iOS 5 then start complaining (despite your pessimistic view of "I'll believe it when I see it" there is absolutely nothing that implies that we won't. Before iOS 4.3  was released it was clearly stated that 4.3 would only work on the GSM iPhone 4. No secret. Before iOS 5 release date was announced it did not exclude either iPhone 4 version. It clearly stated it was compatiable for the iPhone 4. Apple may be extremely frustrating when it comes to waiting until they are good and ready to release any details about anything they are releasing, but they aren't misleading. They tell you what to expect with their products  and compatiability. We may not like the answers...we may want more. But we can't say that they hid the info from us and made us think one thing when something else was the truth).

But I digress lol. It's the 10th...I hope on the 12th some will be much happier, but I'm almost positive that no matter what, there will be something new to complain about. It's human nature. We are never satisfied.

0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Geez... Kaebfly, you have got to be the most understanding person on the planet in regards to corporate behavior and their sometimes lack of concern for their customers (perceived or otherwise).  My problem with iOS 4.3 has to do with the simple fact that nothing was said as to why, one way or another.  My problem with the iCloud beta (and the Verizon snub there) was that nothing was said as to why one way or the other.  And that's also why I won't believe iOS 5 for the Verizon iPhone 4 until I see it... BECAUSE once again nothing has been officially stated one way or another.  You're right, Apple stated that the GSM iPhone would get these things, but offered no explanation as to why Verizon was left out.  So I'm skeptical.

I'm the customer.  And I'm entitled to complain if I feel I've been I've been slighted in any way.  If nobody complained then corporations would walk all over you... and lately corporations have been doing a lot of that!  So yep... even if some people think these sorts of complaints are unfounded, it's my right to either migrate to someone else or complain as loud and as often as I want.  It keeps the corporations on their toes (and honest) and ultimately makes for better products and/or customer/corporate relations.  So lighten up....  And complain once in a while yourself!  I can't believe that your 100% satisfied all of the time.  :smileywink:

P.S.  And I know that Verizon likely has no control over anything that Apple does... but once again, nothing was said by either company in this regard either.  It's like we're always at their mercy!

P.P.S.  And debacle was what it was... to me anyway.  Might be a bit strong in this case, but I'm sure I'm not alone and there's been people on this forum (and Apple's) who've used a lot stronger words than that one!)

P.P.P.S  I still will bet that AT&T while won't physically rebrand the iPhone 4S, will sell it as having 4G speeds on their network.

P.P.P.P.S  All mute... we'll know tomorrow.

And finally... no offense... I like a good debate and you definitely rate as a good debater!  Makes the forums interesting!  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

dbbrass wrote:

Geez... Kaebfly, you have got to be the most understanding person on the planet in regards to corporate behavior and their sometimes lack of concern for their customers (perceived or otherwise).  My problem with iOS 4.3 has to do with the simple fact that nothing was said as to why, one way or another.  My problem with the iCloud beta (and the Verizon snub there) was that nothing was said as to why one way or the other.  And that's also why I won't believe iOS 5 for the Verizon iPhone 4 until I see it... BECAUSE once again nothing has been officially stated one way or another.  You're right, Apple stated that the GSM iPhone would get these things, but offered no explanation as to why Verizon was left out.  So I'm skeptical.

Sorry but it's OBVIOUS, and people don't want to see it.  I guess Apple thought their customers were smart to see the obvious.  It's the SAME with the iPads when they first came out.  It corrected itself on the next major release.  Which will be 5.0.  There was no debacle what so ever.  by definition a debacle means they messed something up.  Since this IS intentional it can't be a debacle...

Also if you were part of the developers program as I pointed out to you long ago Verizon iPhones could use iCloud...  So they weren't snubbed at all.

I'm the customer.  And I'm entitled to complain if I feel I've been I've been slighted in any way.  If nobody complained then corporations would walk all over you... and lately corporations have been doing a lot of that!  So yep... even if some people think these sorts of complaints are unfounded, it's my right to either migrate to someone else or complain as loud and as often as I want.  It keeps the corporations on their toes (and honest) and ultimately makes for better products and/or customer/corporate relations.  So lighten up....  And complain once in a while yourself!  I can't believe that your 100% satisfied all of the time.  :smileywink:

Sure, and they are entitled themselves to release what they want to release when they want to release it.  Actually they will walk over you regardless if you complain or not as long as people continue to buy their products.  Just look at Motorola people made facebook pages complaining about the Cliq, CliqXT, and about locked bootloaders on their Android devices yet they still sell millions of units world wide...  So is it working? Not buying products and telling your friends not to buy said product with something they actually care about will do more than complaining about it in a public forum.

P.S.  And I know that Verizon likely has no control over anything that Apple does... but once again, nothing was said by either company in this regard either.  It's like we're always at their mercy!

P.S.  You already got your info months ago I told you...  I am part of the developers program as I told you before. 

P.P.S.  And debacle was what it was... to me anyway.  Might be a bit strong in this case, but I'm sure I'm not alone and there's been people on this forum (and Apple's) who've used a lot stronger words than that one!)

P.P.S. It's NOT a debacle.  It doesn't even fit the definition.

P.P.P.S  I still will bet that AT&T while won't physically rebrand the iPhone 4S, will sell it as having 4G speeds on their network.

P.P.P.S Of course they will...  People keep saying 4G isn't real 4G, but haven't gotten the memo...  4G was reclassified months ago by the standards committee.  It stands for GENERATION and not based on actually speeds.  It has to be at least their 4th GENERATION network and must have greater speeds than their 3rd generation.

P.P.P.P.S  All mute... we'll know tomorrow.

P.P.P.P.S It won't happen at midnight.   It will be released when Cupertino opens(PST) which is 9 am I believe.  

And finally... no offense... I like a good debate and you definitely rate as a good debater!  Makes the forums interesting!  

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
I guess you are enjoying iOS5 :smileyhappy: and I told you so lol
0 Likes
dbbrass
Contributor - Level 3

Touche'

Yep and so far I'm likin' it.  You know but it might have been more interesting to hear me rant if for some reason Verizon didn't get it!  LOL

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

dbbrass wrote:

Touche'

Yep and so far I'm likin' it.  You know but it might have been more interesting to hear me rant if for some reason Verizon didn't get it!  LOL

Apple always had a good track record for supporting their products :smileyhappy:

It would be more than you just ranting.  People on Sprint, and Verizon would wonder about the 4S getting updates as well, and possibly other devices.  Apple isn't that stupid. 

0 Likes