iPhone 4 Warranty, Third Party Charger Errors
maierhcn

Hi All,

I am experiencing problems; speakers not working for iTunes, constant "This Acessory Not Optimized" message popping up, and charging difficulties, all likely due to a third party charger.  I am hesitant to send my phone in under the warranty, frankly because I don't have faith in my local Verizon representatives.  Has anyone sent their phone in under the 1-year warranty in similar circumstances?  What were the results?  Did they charge you for damage, or is this sort of error beyond that range?

Any and all advice would be valuable.

Thanks,

-C

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: iPhone 4 Warranty, Third Party Charger Errors
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

EmBee31404 wrote:

Trust me if you have not had it the 14 days, The iPhone your going to want to return asap, I had mine on Friday and retuned it on Monday, It is cute mind you, However the keys as you aleready most likely know are so small your going to constantly make corrections as it will type in the wrong letter, I hated mine so bad I almost ran to the truck to return mine, and the battery life they say lasts a month, pfffft, it is most likely will last you a day if that, Mine in sleep mode went from 3/4 over night to null,

There are millions of iPhone users that would completely disagree with you. You are entitled to your view and choice to return but you have to know that not everyone has an issue with the virtual keys like you  had (but for those that do have the issue but really want to keep the phone they can purchase a stylus to help with that. Not to mention, there are plenty of other phones out there that would give the same issue regardless of it being a touch screen like the iPhone or other real keypads with close keys). As far as the battery life goes...I can't think of a single smartphone that will give anyone a month of use without charging...and for many a day with moderate use isn't bad. Your issue with it draining overnight, not sure if you had a bad battery or if you tried any of the troubleshooting tips available to see if there was something that could rectify that issue but draining that much with no use (including push services working overtime through the night or any other services running that would cause the phone to drain more quickly). At any rate, sorry the iPhone didn't fit your needs, but your experience isn't the experience that everyone should expect to have.

To the OP...have you tried any troubleshooting? Sorry if you already stated that you did. To answer your question, technically it's possible that using a non-approved third party accessory could void your warranty but I'm not sure if that is something that happens often or at all. You could always take the phone to your local VZW or Apple store and show them that the speaker is not working and see what they say. I wouldn't mention the use of the 3rd party speakers (only because you have no way of knowing if that is what caused the issue and providing that info may just give reason to automatically reject a warranty...although again, I really don't know if they would do that). A reset or restore might fix the issue without having to go through that, but if you tried it then taking it to them is probably the next step for you.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

Not really understanding everything you're saying is going on (for example, speakers not working for iTunes? iTunes on your computer? Trying to listen to clips on iTunes via your iPhone?). Are you using a third party accessory instead of the syncing/charging cable that came with your iPhone? If you are then that may be the issue and wouldn't necessarily require a warranty fix. You also asked if anyone was charged for damage when sending their phone in for warranty issues....is there known damage to your iPhone (such as water damage)? If there is then your issue could be related to that damage...which would void your manufacturer's warranty (if you have insurance then it would be used instead).

0 Likes
maierhcn

Hi again,

Sorry for the confusion.

iTunes on my iPhone won't play through the speakers (headphones are okay though).

I used a third-party charger and since them I have had these issues. I no longer use it, but the problems remain. 

There is no way that it is water damage.

So, does the warranty cover problems caused by me using a third party charger (which is what I attribute all the problems to) ?

Thanks!

-Chris

0 Likes
EmBee31404

Trust me if you have not had it the 14 days, The iPhone your going to want to return asap, I had mine on Friday and retuned it on Monday, It is cute mind you, However the keys as you aleready most likely know are so small your going to constantly make corrections as it will type in the wrong letter, I hated mine so bad I almost ran to the truck to return mine, and the battery life they say lasts a month, pfffft, it is most likely will last you a day if that, Mine in sleep mode went from 3/4 over night to null,

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

EmBee31404 wrote:

There are millions of iPhone users that would completely disagree with you. You are entitled to your view and choice to return but you have to know that not everyone has an issue with the virtual keys like you  had (but for those that do have the issue but really want to keep the phone they can purchase a stylus to help with that. Not to mention, there are plenty of other phones out there that would give the same issue regardless of it being a touch screen like the iPhone or other real keypads with close keys). As far as the battery life goes...I can't think of a single smartphone that will give anyone a month of use without charging...and for many a day with moderate use isn't bad. Your issue with it draining overnight, not sure if you had a bad battery or if you tried any of the troubleshooting tips available to see if there was something that could rectify that issue but draining that much with no use (including push services working overtime through the night or any other services running that would cause the phone to drain more quickly). At any rate, sorry the iPhone didn't fit your needs, but your experience isn't the experience that everyone should expect to have.

To the OP...have you tried any troubleshooting? Sorry if you already stated that you did. To answer your question, technically it's possible that using a non-approved third party accessory could void your warranty but I'm not sure if that is something that happens often or at all. You could always take the phone to your local VZW or Apple store and show them that the speaker is not working and see what they say. I wouldn't mention the use of the 3rd party speakers (only because you have no way of knowing if that is what caused the issue and providing that info may just give reason to automatically reject a warranty...although again, I really don't know if they would do that). A reset or restore might fix the issue without having to go through that, but if you tried it then taking it to them is probably the next step for you.

0 Likes
maierhcn

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

maierhcn wrote:

So, does the warranty cover problems caused by me using a third party charger (which is what I attribute all the problems to) ?

I don't see how a 3rd party charger could cause permanent issues. Why don't you just try using the charger it came with instead of a 3rd party one? Doesn't sound like you need a whole new phone.

0 Likes
vereyezuhn
Master - Level 3

EmBee31404 wrote:

The iPhone is actually one of the best smartphones in terms of touch sensitivity and correctness when typing. Just because YOU can't type on it or have large fingers, doesn't mean other people will have the same problem. And I don't know WHERE in the world you heard that the battery lasted a whole MONTH. That's insane! There's not a phone in the world whose battery lasts a month. A day is actually a long time for a battery to last with a smartphone.

0 Likes
LongUser

vereyezuhn wrote:

EmBee31404 wrote:

The iPhone is actually one of the best smartphones in terms of touch sensitivity and correctness when typing. Just because YOU can't type on it or have large fingers, doesn't mean other people will have the same problem. And I don't know WHERE in the world you heard that the battery lasted a whole MONTH. That's insane! There's not a phone in the world whose battery lasts a month. A day is actually a long time for a battery to last with a smartphone.

I am the one that posted about the month long battery, I had to redo my so called address to come back in and reply, notice but they deleted one of my emails I mentioned. it might have been a defect in the phone, However I was told those pens do not work by one rep as asked, as I would have used it longer, and for the battery? another rep told me that she only charges hers once a month and it had a  long battery life, I did think to self, hmmmm a whole month she is filling me full of organic material :smileyhappy: Like I tried to post once, It could be very well the phone and I am not ruling it out as far as trying it maybe some other time, It just was not what the rep sales pitch was, I do think they could improve on the headset or the wired piece as that gave me a ton of problems using it, but again it could have been the bad apple in the bunch, {No pun intended} but I returned mine fast, Just was really more then I needed and again the sales pitch was very different then what I received, and I can honestly say each person you call pretty much has a different approach, like today I got some results on a re-order by asking to speak to the supervisior, But wish all you that have it good luck, Just was not the kind of phone I liked, oh yes, another rep told me it had to feel the heat of your finger to click on the key pads, that is why she said the pens did not work, however noticed someone in the car a friend using one of those pens on her samsung galaxy she got from T-Mobile, and no, no way on this earth am I switching carriers :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

LongUser wrote:

I am the one that posted about the month long battery, I had to redo my so called address to come back in and reply, notice but they deleted one of my emails I mentioned. it might have been a defect in the phone, However I was told those pens do not work by one rep as asked, as I would have used it longer, and for the battery? another rep told me that she only charges hers once a month and it had a  long battery life, I did think to self, hmmmm a whole month she is filling me full of organic material :smileyhappy: Like I tried to post once, It could be very well the phone and I am not ruling it out as far as trying it maybe some other time, It just was not what the rep sales pitch was, I do think they could improve on the headset or the wired piece as that gave me a ton of problems using it, but again it could have been the bad apple in the bunch, {No pun intended} but I returned mine fast, Just was really more then I needed and again the sales pitch was very different then what I received, and I can honestly say each person you call pretty much has a different approach, like today I got some results on a re-order by asking to speak to the supervisior, But wish all you that have it good luck, Just was not the kind of phone I liked, oh yes, another rep told me it had to feel the heat of your finger to click on the key pads, that is why she said the pens did not work, however noticed someone in the car a friend using one of those pens on her samsung galaxy she got from T-Mobile, and no, no way on this earth am I switching carriers :smileyhappy:

As far as the stylus goes, there are some available that work on iPhones/iPads. The rep that told you that they do not work was incorrect...true, you have to get one that is compatiable for it to work. I have one but I rarely use it...I purchased 1 for my mother and decided to get one for myself just in case...

And the rep that told you they only have to charge their iPhone once a month was flat out lying or they rarely ever had theirs powered on during the month. Sometimes people aren't truly aware of the products they are selling and rather than admit they aren't sure of something they tell you what they think you want to hear. It's unfortunate since customers would like to think that if they ask the person selling them a product about that product they would be able to give them factual info. Sadly, that's not always the case so it's always best to do your own research before hand so you'll have a better idea of what you're getting...and if the product will meet your needs.

0 Likes