iPhone 4 vs MiFi connnectivity
russbus

I see that that iPhone will allow up to 5 connections. Does anyone know if it will operate at the same speed as a MiFi unit? I have an iPad as well and am trying to determine which route will work best.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4 vs MiFi connnectivity
Kyllle
Contributor - Level 2

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling the iPhone won't be as fast, simply because the MiFi unit is specializes in making WiFi - that's all it does. The iPhone, on the other hand, does pretty much everything. So I would think the MiFi is faster since it is dedicated to  just doing wifi.

Like if you're connected to wifi on your computer and iPhone, your computer's internet is still faster, even though both are connected to the same router. That's just my feeling, but I'm not positive.

0 Likes
russbus

Thanks - that is what I am thinking as well - I am also hoping that when I receive the phone I can get some good feedback from the Verizon person as well.

0 Likes
Kyllle
Contributor - Level 2

You could also go to a Verizon store and test out the MiFi units there to see how fast they are, then compare them to your iPhone when you get it.

I'm sure there will be tons of tests comparing speeds once the iPhone comes out as well.

0 Likes
jeet2ss

I have connected my notebook to my iphone it says i am connected with my wi-fi from my ipone  however I have no interent acceess, is there something that I need to do?

0 Likes
EdW_VZW
Verizon Employee

jeet2ss wrote:

I have connected my notebook to my iphone it says i am connected with my wi-fi from my ipone  however I have no interent acceess, is there something that I need to do?

Thank you for your feedback jeet2ss. Your not having a internet access from your iPhone needs to be addressed from where you using that WiFi connection. When you choice to enable the Wifi on your iPhone, the connection disables your connection on the Verizon Wireless network in essence transferring it over to the WiFi service your choosing to use. As a suggestion, please check with the one who runs your internet connection when your using the Wifi from your iPhone to inquire why your not able to connect. Secondly in response to the iPhone being a MiFi, they are two completely different types of devices using service differently. You are not able to use the WiFi when using the Mobile Hotspot at the same time. Using the Wifi does not create a bridge onto the internet for data access to be shared amongst the five other devices. You maybe able to connect the other five devices via WiFi apart from the iPhone via the Mobile Hotspot. Currently, the Mobile Hotspot on the iPhone can be used when you have added a $20.00 Mobile Hotspot data plan allowing that line the ability to use for up to five devices access to the internet. This is not to be confused with the unlimited data plan that covers data access solely on the iPhone. Please log into My Verizon to add the Mobile Hotspot data plan. You will to have 2 Gigabytes data per a monthly allowance shared amongst other devices.   

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

EdW_VZW wrote:

jeet2ss wrote:

Thank you for your feedback jeet2ss. Your not having a internet access from your iPhone needs to be addressed from where you using that WiFi connection. When you choice to enable the Wifi on your iPhone, the connection disables your connection on the Verizon Wireless network in essence transferring it over to the WiFi service your choosing to use. As a suggestion, please check with the one who runs your internet connection when your using the Wifi from your iPhone to inquire why your not able to connect. Secondly in response to the iPhone being a MiFi, they are two completely different types of devices using service differently. You are not able to use the WiFi when using the Mobile Hotspot at the same time. Using the Wifi does not create a bridge onto the internet for data access to be shared amongst the five other devices. You maybe able to connect the other five devices via WiFi apart from the iPhone via the Mobile Hotspot. Currently, the Mobile Hotspot on the iPhone can be used when you have added a $20.00 Mobile Hotspot data plan allowing that line the ability to use for up to five devices access to the internet. This is not to be confused with the unlimited data plan that covers data access solely on the iPhone. Please log into My Verizon to add the Mobile Hotspot data plan. You will to have 2 Gigabytes data per a monthly allowance shared amongst other devices.   

EdW_VZW, I think you misunderstood what jeet2ss was trying to say (though to be fair, his post isn't very clear), I think he was saying that he is trying to connect his notebook to his iPhone via the WiFi hotspot feature, and use the 3G service from his iPhone on his notebook (as you are supposed to do), but the problem he is having, is while his notebook is successfully connecting to his iPhone, his iPhone is not successfully connecting to the Verizon 3G network, therefore not letting his notebook connect over 3G, and therefore is not able to get online

@jeet2ss, do you have a full signal when you attempt to use the hotspot feature?  At least in my experience, you have to have at least 4 bars of service AND it must say 3G in order for the hotspot feature to work properly, and even then most of the time it is very slow (sometimes around dial up speed or worse, if I can get speedtest.net to even load, it's way under 1Mbps), in order to get 3G speed, you have to have all 5 bars, the 3G notice, and even then it's hit or miss (the closer to an antenna, the better)

0 Likes
Not applicable

There is a little confusion on this post that I would like to clarify on.  There are some preliminary things that we always check to make sure the feature works.  You need to have a fairly good signal on your iPhone and have your Hotspot feature turned on.  You must also have the feature added on your plan for $20.00 per month.

As long as the preliminary steps above are checked successfully, it's likely a configuration problem on the notebook. There are several things that you can try on the notebook:

1) On the iPhone go into Settings> General>  Network> Personal Hotspot.

2) Ensure you know the password, and turn it on.

3) Restart the notebook.

4) Go into the place where you manage Wi-Fi connections on the notebook.

5) You should have a connection listed in here for your iPhone. Right click on it and choose either Delete, Forget, Remove

whatever the option is to remove the connection entirely from the notebook.

6) Search for available Wi-Fi networks in your Wi-Fi connection manager on the notebook (varies by manufacturer).

7) When you find your Wi-Fi connection to the iPhone, connect to it and put in the password.  Ensure the password is entered

exactly as shown on the iPhone.

😎 Once you connect, try browsing the internet again.  If you are using a specific browser that is having issues, try a different one

such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc. If the problem is specifically with one browser and not the other, we know the

issue is notebook/browser-related and not iPhone/Network-related. 

Let us know if this resolved your issue. If not, please PM me with your cell number.  I would be happy to look into this further for you.

0 Likes