iPhone 4S is increasing data usage at all hours
Trock123

What should I do....even when I'm sleeping and I have wifi on?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4S is increasing data usage at all hours
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Turn off the cellular data until you need it.

0 Likes
tammys7603
Enthusiast - Level 3

You shouldn't have to remember to turn off the damn data. This is just a way for Verizon to get more money out of you! Its a scam and they are getting caught. That's ALL!

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

When an iPhone goes into sleep mode it drops its connection to wifi and in spite of setting all your update setting to use only wifi, Apple will force some information and updates to your phone regardless which I think should not be allowed, but it happens and we deal with it as best as we can. 

Try going to settings -> cellular.  Scroll down until you see a heading "use cellular data for" under there you will see a list of apps that have at some point accessed the cellular data network.  Turn any switches that are green off (for apps you don't want to use on cellular). After that you can reset the usage monitor and you can then watch your data usage from zero to see how it matches up with the Verizon data counter.

Also in settings make sure that the iTunes & App store are set to not use cellular data.  Also make sure that the setting for music have iTunes Match set to not use cellular data.  Make sure your location services are disabled or limited to only those things you want location services to be used. If you'd like I can show you how to disable all location services that apple sets to run in the background by default.

Hope this helps!

tammys7603
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could you please tell me how to disable all location services?

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

Sure thing! The easiest way to show you is to direct you to the this article http://www.clear-coat.com/blog/iphone-privacy-settings/  This article will explain a lot about the various locations services on the iPhone.  I do think, however that the information is geared toward iOS 7 so if you are running iOS 6 or lower you may not have the ability to customize your phones location services as completely.  Just a note (which you'll understand after you read the article), I have all the system services turned off on my iPhone as does my wife and my in-laws and we have not experienced any loss of functionality and our phones display the correct time when we move to another time zone.

Hope this helps!!

0 Likes
ponyruns
Contributor - Level 3

oh by the way we have four iPhone 4S on our account and with our data settings managed as I told you above we use less than 500MB combined for all our phones.  We do check the cellular tab when ever a new app is used on our phone so that we can manually turn of its ability to use cellular data.  When it comes to wifi we all use a lot of data and its great. We as a family just don't feel the need to use our phones apps while away from wifi unless its an emergency or we our lost and need to get directions or something like that.

0 Likes
tammys7603
Enthusiast - Level 3

OK we disabled lots of stuff like you showed me. We stopped all updates to ICLOUD unless we make it do the update. We shut off backups etc. and we are still seeing loads of usage at the same times every day. What gives? I am seriously at my wits end! Also it is doing it at different times each day. Like some days it shows it doing something at 8:21 PM and 8:21 AM or 2:21 PM and 2:21 AM but the next day it will be other times. This is not happening with any of the other phones except the 4S.

0 Likes
tammys7603
Enthusiast - Level 3

How do you control the backups to ICLOUD. there should be a way to tell ICLOUD when to back up or update your phone. I looked logged on to computer and on phones. Cant find it. Like when you tell your computer to backup. Should be a way to schedule it because that seems to be what is going on with her phone.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I understand the need to keep a handle on your data usage tammys7603. Please be assured we conduct business with integrity at all times and we ensure data is always billed accurately. Here are some helpful tips for optimizing data usage on the iPhone 4s and how to check to see what is using the most data. http://vz.to/1fWp8MM

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes