Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iPhone 4S is increasing data usage
rogves

We just started seeing this behavior with one of our iPhone 4S's.  It will register 0.5 GB of usage at 9:30 in the morning when the phone is at home, using our home wifi.  As others have noted, this eventually leads to the "75%" "90%" messages that then cause us to up our data plan, making more $$ for VZW. Having been with VZW for more than 10 years, we will *definitely* be switching carriers ASAP.

Labels (1)
Re: iPhone 4S is increasing data usage at all hours
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

Hi rogves!

I don't want you to go anywhere! Let's look into this for you. Have you cross-referenced the data details on My Verizon to see when this data is being incurred? Have you turned off the cellular data while at home?

ChristinaB_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
tammys7603

I am running into this too. We shouldn't have to turn off data all the time. My daughters new phone is doing something crazy at the same times everyday!!! We have turned off the updates unless it uses WIFI. She has deleted pictures and videos and stopped auto updates. What in the world is wrong? I am thinking about just taking all 4 of our phones and going somewhere else! This is a scam! I had to add more data to my plan and never had to do this until she got the 4s.

0 Likes
tammys7603

My phone is doing the same thing. Verizon told me to stop all auto updates - we did. then told us to make sure that when the phone backs ups to Icloud it does it ONLY when connected to WIFI at home. What gives? She is still getting crazy amounts of data usage at odd times of the day but at the same times every day. Did you ever get your problem solved?

0 Likes
tammys7603

3/6/2014 - OK I am to the point of cancelling my entire plan of 4 apple phones! PERIOD!!!! I just looked at the data usage again on my daughters 4S and of course twice a day at the same times "Like a auto update" its using a CRAP load of data. You to tell me how to stop this nonsense now. I have done everything you have told me to do. WE are not going to shut of Cellular use because that is why you have a cell phone. It is when the phone is in sleep mode and she doesn't have WIFI access that it is doing something. I am extremely mad at this point and this should not be happening at all. None of the other apple phones are doing this. At this point I will have to upgrade again to 8 GB instead of 6GB and I refuse to do that. You need to fix this now. I know you can find out what is causing this and what is going on at the same two times a day. I am not stupid. You do know you just refuse to tell me apparently and think I will just give up and keep paying more money. Well it wont happen and AT&T is looking better every day. Please get back in touch with me ASAP by calling me.

0 Likes
Re: iPhone 4S is increasing data usage
tammys7603

We are still having a major issue and so funny how Verizon keeps telling us that they just cant tell us what is going on. RIGHT! I don't believe it and I still think its their way of getting more money out of us. I am seriously looking into changing carriers and they wont get one dime from me from cancelling my contract. They are not helping us at all and think I will just go away well not going to happen. I cant afford this!

0 Likes
Not applicable

I have two iPhone 5s devices, it uses a small amount of data even while on WiFi. a few kilobytes and for the bill cycle 23 megabytes. Not Gigabytes. I have unlimited data but I am not sure if that is why it registers so little.

I have found that both my iPhone's do not shut down from WiFi while plugged in. On one device I turned it off completely and no usage what so ever.

Yes you need cellular data on to use certain features such as MMS not iMessages. But i swear I could take screen shots and show you that usage is not out of control like you are going through.

It is very strange.

Good Luck

0 Likes