iTunes Wi-Fi Sync
tjmack99
Contributor - Level 1

Is this feature tied to a specific Wi-Fi spot? When I'm using my work Wi-Fi, the "Sync Now" is greyed out and the message reads "Sync will resume when A010781 is available". Not sure if this is saying I have to be connected to my home Wi-Fi, or if this means something completely different.

Cheers

Mc-C 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iTunes Wi-Fi Sync
ArnettH_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello ,

I am more than happy to assist you in getting the maximum usage out of the wifi capabilities from your Iphone. May I ask is A010781 the name of your work wifi network? Also, are you able to successfully browse the web while on your work wifi? If you are not sure then I would recommend turning on Airplane Mode on the device and connect to your work's wifi network. Once you are connected, try to go to 4-5 website to verify that it is functioning properly. If not then we have found the source of the issue, the work wifi. If that's the case then I would recommend reaching out to the IT dept at your job for wifi assistance. 

If you are able to successfully browse then please re-verify if the Sync Now option is still greyed out. Where in the device are you finding the sync now option? Also, what info are you trying to sync wirelessly. If you are using iCloud then there are some steps that I would like for you to verify to ensure that you can sync successfully. I've attached a link for assistance.

http://www.apple.com/icloud/setup/

If all this information has been verified then please reply to this posting for additional assistance. 

Thank you...

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

tjmack99, the problem you are having is due to an issue with your operating system, I think "A010781" is your computer's system/network name that your iPhone is synced to when you plug it into your computer

What operating system does the computer you sync your iPhone to run?  One of the following operating systems are required for iTunes Wi-Fi sync and iCloud...

-Mac OS X Lion (10.7)

-Windows Vista

-Windows 7

-Windows 8 (currently in beta)

Any operating system Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6)/Windows XP and earlier does not support iTunes Wi-Fi sync and iCloud

If you are running one of the supported operating systems and it is not working, then you may need to enable it in iTunes on the computer

I have a Mac running Mac OS X Leopard (10.5.8) that I sync my iPhone with, and I have also noticed that same problem

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3
Ok, upon closer reading, it sounds like it does work when you are at home, just doesn't work when you are at work, is that correct?

In that case, it could be a number of problems

First, I am not sure being that I back up to iCloud instead (since my computer doesn't currently support iTunes WiFi Sync), but it may require you to be on the same network (Behind the same router) as your computer, so you would probably need to set up some sort of VPN on your iPhone to simulate it being on your home network

Next, your home computer must be on and running (possibly even logged in), and iTunes may have to be running in order for the iPhone to sync, this means unless your computer has WoL (wake on LAN), your computer may need to be set to not go into sleep/standby mode, which would make it unavailable

Also, depending on who uses the computer (if you are not the only user), they could be causing it to be unavailable at that time (logging in as a different user, closing out of iTunes, switching iTunes accounts, etc.), or it could be a problem with the computer, network or ISP itself causing it to be unavailable
0 Likes
kaebfly
Champion - Level 3

mikedamirault wrote:
Ok, upon closer reading, it sounds like it does work when you are at home, just doesn't work when you are at work, is that correct?

In that case, it could be a number of problems

First, I am not sure being that I back up to iCloud instead (since my computer doesn't currently support iTunes WiFi Sync), but it may require you to be on the same network (Behind the same router) as your computer, so you would probably need to set up some sort of VPN on your iPhone to simulate it being on your home network

Next, your home computer must be on and running (possibly even logged in), and iTunes may have to be running in order for the iPhone to sync, this means unless your computer has WoL (wake on LAN), your computer may need to be set to not go into sleep/standby mode, which would make it unavailable

Also, depending on who uses the computer (if you are not the only user), they could be causing it to be unavailable at that time (logging in as a different user, closing out of iTunes, switching iTunes accounts, etc.), or it could be a problem with the computer, network or ISP itself causing it to be unavailable
You're correct, the computer they are syncing to and the iPhone has to be on the same network in order to sync. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386
0 Likes