Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imessage internationally
tnwalsh

I don't have a global phone but was told that in Germany I can imessage as long as I have wifi but everytime I try to send a message it tries to send as a text message. Can I imessage internationally?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: imessage internationally
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

You should be able to iMessage while connected to WiFi in Germany.  If you are trying to send a message using iMessage and it is attempting to send it as a text message, you may need to check that the iMessage function on your phone is enabled. Below I have provided steps on how to enable iMessage on your iPhone.

1. From the home screen, select Settings

2. Select Messages.

3. Drag the iMessage switch left or right to enable / disable iMessage.

If iMessage is enabled and you are still unable to use it, please post back and I will be more than happy to further assist you.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Novice

Also be sure that the person you are trying to iMessage is using an iDevice (iPhone, iPod touch or iPad), iMessage doesn't support non-Apple devices (eg. Android or Windows Phone devices), if you try to iMessage a non-Apple device, it will attempt to text the number instead

0 Likes
Tidbits
Sr. Leader

If it comes out blue then you in the clear.  If it comes out green then you will be charged international text price.

If you do bulk texting(more than 1 person) and one of them does not use an iDevice then it will come out of your texting package(if you have one) or charged PPU(pay per use).

You can turn off sending it through SMS in the messages settings.

0 Likes