Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iphone 4 randomly shut off and wont turn back on??
kaylahaenitsch

so my iphone 4 -16gb phone shut off this morning, wont turn on or anything. has a full battery, hasnt been dropped, wet, or anything like that, just randomly shut off and wont turn back on.. what could be the problem??

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: iphone 4 randomly shut off and wont turn back on??
gina7239

It will shut off when it's dead at about 1-2%. Sometimes it goes dark so many seconds after inactivity. I don't know. Have you done a full deletion network reset? What have you done?

0 Likes
SeriouslyLainey

It's possible that this is caused by the iPhone's own internal allocation settings - which is an issue that I recently experienced.  It's easily solved:  Settings - Safari - "Clear History".  When the phone realizes that you're close to meeting/exceeding the maximum storage for "temporary internet usage", it will shut down - which is an indicator that you need to clear your internet history..... I'm not sure why this isn't at the top of the "iPhone Tips & Tricks" list - but it fixed my issue, nonetheless. 

Hope it's helpful to you!

dmac60

Mine did the same thing this morning.??? I plugged it in and it is still black screen. I dont know if there is a way to resett it or not.I will keep checking back to see if anyone has answers.

0 Likes
AUteach

My phone as well did this last night. Power level was at 60%+ and the time differential was only about an hour, between use & brick.   I will be looking over the Apple forums till I can get to my local , but this seems to suspicious, since the "new" plans go into effect today, thus potentially ENDING my family's unlimited plan that we've had for YEARS.

0 Likes
AUteach

Lainey,

This sounds like a very interesting suggestion, however I do have one question that I would like to have you answer since you seem to know a bit more than my 20+ years experience in dealing with computers/technologhu -- how am I suppose to do this process that you've suggested when the phone will NOT power on???

I eagerly await your reply.

Joey

0 Likes
bcleary51

Hold the off button and on button at the same time for 30 seconds, it should reset, then kill unused apps.

SeriouslyLainey

AUteach,

There was no implication as to my knowledge vs yours. I understand that you're frustrated; you've obviously come to this forum in search of possible solutions - which is exactly its purpose. There's no need to attack me because you're upset with the situation.

Now, as I said previously - I'd recently experienced the same situation. What I didn't say (as there was no demonstrated need or benefit) - was that I actually spoke with an Apple technician who instructed me to hold the buttons in order to power the phone up. Believe it or not, it powered on. I then went through the steps to delete Internet history (I later cleared cookies & cache as well) - and my phone resumed without issue.

I now perform this "clean up" step monthly - and have not had the issue again.

If this suggestion didn't help you, my apologies - but again, ONLY a suggestion. There was no intent to insult anyone's intelligence.

AUteach, I'd suggest that perhaps you'd benefit from a quick lesson in forum etiquette...but will refrain, as I feel you'd also be insulted by that.

To other forum members - I know the suggestion seems far-fetched, but it absolutely solved my issue. I hope it will help you, too.

Best regards,

Lainey

dmac60

I dont understand why i received this mail. I did not insult anyone. You must have me mixed up with someone else.

Sent from my iPhone

0 Likes
SeriouslyLainey

It was a reply to another commenter in the forum - so sorry for the confusion.

Have a wonderful 4th!

Lainey

0 Likes