iphone4 dropping calls
Janet1959
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded from an LG Vortex to the iphone4, I am having issues with the iphone dropping calls constantly.  I never had any issues with my other phones dropping calls in areas where the iphone does not work.  I am wondering if anyone else has had this issue. 

My iphone drops calls in my home where all other phones on the verizon network works great is there anything I can do to correct this?  I am rather dissappointed in the iphone. This is the first time that I have issues with my calls being dropped.

Labels (1)
Re: iphone4 dropping calls
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@Janet1959,

I'm truly sorry to hear of the issues that you have been having with your iPhone. It is truly a fantastic device, and its disappointing that you are unable to use the phone in the desired manner.

Do you have a case on the device? Depending on what type of case you have it can cause the signal to fluctuate because of the position of the antennas.

I would also advise to dial *228 ( send ) and then option 1 from your device. If you still are unable to receive a better signal it would be best to reset your network settings. The network settings may be reset as follows: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Keep us posted!

0 Likes
annoyedman

My iPhone 4 has been dropping calls right and left for a while now, and I use it for my business, so this is NOT cool. I had three calls with clients yesterday during which the phone dropped the call multiple times, and this was with no less than 80% charge still on the phone.

I used to get 5 bars of reception in the front of my house and 3 bars in the back. Now I have 3 bars while sitting in my kitchen, 20 ft from the street, and in my back room I get 0 to 1 bar. And it's not just in my home. Verizon reception all over Grapevine Texas is NOT what it used to be. My iPhone is no longer a reliable means of business communication, and I have taken to using it less and less for business because it's a problem which affects my ability to earn my living.

And, the FiOS Internet service in my home has slowed way down too. Even after freshly rebooting my router, I can no longer stream video to my television off of services like Netflix because the signal has to stop and buffer about every 3 or 4 minutes. I spend $400/month with Verizon, and for that, if I want help, I have to either drive to the Verizon store (where they cannot help me with my FiOS issues), or I have to deal with the impenetrable automated phone system whose primary existence seems to be to discourage customers from trying to "bother" Verizon with their problems.

I'm about ready to switch providers entirely.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Annoyedman,

I can understand the significance of having an operable iPhone, especially if it is being used for business use. I would not want to effect the way that you are able to earn a living. Please ensure that your device is running the latest software. To update the software, head into Settings > General > Software Update. If the software is update please complete a reset of the network settings. This would will delete saved Wi-Fi passwords. For example, if you have recently visited a friends home and used there secured Wi-Fi network. This will deleted the saved password. You may reset the network settings by heading into Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

YosefT_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
annoyedman

Already did all that stuff. I'm a professional techie and I own and professionally use 5 Mac OSX devices and 3 iOS devices. I understand the software issues with my phone and the importance of updating software and keeping it current, but my iPhone 4 still drops calls.

I did some research, and it is an antenna issue.........yeah, I know, the Verizon iPhone 4's are supposed to be generation 2 and have no antenna issues, but I performed the antenna bridging test with my finger on the lower left gap in the metal frame, and within 20 seconds or so experienced about a 2 bar drop in reception. I took my finger off the gap, and within 15-20 seconds the bars came back. What that means is that when I get 3 bars at the front of my house, it goes down to 1 bar, but I still have a tenuous (at best) connection. But when I'm in the back of my house where I only have 1-2 bars, it means no reception, and that's not acceptable.

I'm left-handed, so Apple's silly response to customer complaints, telling them to "hold the phone differently," isn't going to work for me. You shouldn't have to hold your phone by the fingertips only in a couple of spots to keep from dropping your call.

I've had this phone for a couple of years now and I'm eligible for an upgrade in 2 weeks, so I'll just try another phone.

0 Likes
mterry1010

My IPhone 4 started doing the same thing the last few months so I just upgraded with the same phone.  It is just as awful.  Why is it I never had a problem until a few months ago?  It seems everyone I mention it to is having the same trouble?????  Same time frame.

0 Likes
nsk918
Enthusiast - Level 1

The iPhone 4 is the worst thing I have ever purchased... I cannot get a signal in my own home.  I know it is the phone because my husband gets full bars on his phone which is a basic phone.  I also cannot get access to voicemauil and the folks at verizon told me this is an apple issue not a verizon issue.  Unfortunately I am stuck with this phone for another year and a half

mlrifino
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've having the same issues my I phone 4 is dropping calls left and right I'm at my wits end with this phone.  Don't even want it anymore.  I've been a valued customer since 2007.  Bought the phone at best buy.  They gave me 5 replacement phones. Got another replacement phone from Verizon. reset the phone didn't do anything.  I want something done so i don't have to deal with this headache.  My phone was updated several times.  I think it's time for a new phone and should be granted no charge to me.

Not applicable

Since you got it best buy see if they'd exchange it for an Android device since your having so much trouble with it..

0 Likes