my Viber call was charged by Verizon
tc3tc
Enthusiast - Level 2

Fact # 1.  I used Viber (Free calling App) to call my family every week for many years with my iPhone 4s.  

Fact # 2.  When I travel internationally for business in 2012 Oct, I called prior to my trip to turn on the international calling feature on only for specific time frame, then I had requested to turn off the date that I was back to States.  Verizon customer only changed me the monthly international feature on the specific date range that I had requested.  But international calling feature was on for "FREE" without my knowledge by Verizon.  The reason from Verizon customer service was "FOR MY CONVINENCE BECAUSE YOU TRAVEL INTERNATIONALLY SO WE HAVE IT ON SO THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO CALL AND ACTIVATE IT EVERYTIME YOU TRAVEL" .  The reason I did not want it on because I got reimbursement from my employer for all the calls and service charges while I was travelling for business, then regular monthly bill is my personal responsibility.  Because of that I do not want internationally calling feature on in my phone even for "free".  I used Viber, Skype to call my personal calls, I don't want Verizon network to accidentally pick up or being charge on Verizon network for my personal calls. This was why I never want international feature even for FREE.  Verizon had put the free international feature without my consent.

Now on 7/17/2014 I used Viber to call Myanmar and Verizon charged me $167.88 for that call.  1st Verizon customer service said I used Viber that Verizon did not authorize to use it than I have my international line on.  When Viber application failed my called to Myanmar was used Verizon network. I said ,  Reason 1)  I had no knowledge that I was using Verizon network because I knew I used "free call" form my Viber contact list,

2)  In my knowledge, I knew 100% that I had my international calling feature TURN OFF.  If Viber or Skipe failed my calls should not go through. 

I went to Verizon store to turn off my international calling feature immediately and I asked Verizon to fully credit back the $167.88 (this Viber Call).  I had been denied by Verizon customer service.  I'm awaiting to resolve this issue and fully refund $167.88 before I'm deciding to renew my another 2 more years contract with Verizon for iPhone 6.  At this moment I was penalized by free service international calling feature was put in my phone without my knowledge that cause this unfortunate error.  I was very disappointed by Verizon and greatly regarded for leaving unlimited data plan by AT&T to join Verizon a few years ago.

Tami

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: my Viber call was charged by Verizon
Tidbits
Legend

You need to bring it up with Viber and not Verizon. You could take this to court and a judge will tell you the same thing. Doesn't matter what carrier you are with. You used an app which claimed free calling, but didn't deliver.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Renee22

What number to you use to call Myanmar.  I want to send photo via text messaging.  I dialed 011 95 followed by the Myanmar cell phone number.  It is failing on all accounts.  Have you ever sent a text or photo to Myanmar?  If so, how did you do it?

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

A photo text would be an MMS (multimedia message) and therefore use data instead of the calling service thereby changing the cost and or ability of the service.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

You need to bring it up with Viber and not Verizon. You could take this to court and a judge will tell you the same thing. Doesn't matter what carrier you are with. You used an app which claimed free calling, but didn't deliver.

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

Verizon also won't take responsibility for any 3rd party app or app they didn't produce.