new iPhone
jsauder52

I just got an iphone and am concerned about the data usage with the cap. i am not a heavy data user but i want to make sure i do not go over the 2gb limit. any suggestions? and also wondering if the iPhone uses more data than an android.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: new iPhone
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you all for your contributions.

@jsauder52, 

Please keep in mind that you can monitor your data usage in near real time reporting via #DATA, My Verizon, My Verizon Mobile, and My Verizon Express. Since you have one of the usage based data plans you will receive data usage alert notifications (at 50%, 75%, 90%, 100%, and 110%) via SMS and / or e-mail. These tool options will allow you to have accurate and timely information for managing your account near real time, which can assist you in avoiding data charges!

To set up My Data Usage Alerts in My Verizon :

1. Sign in to My Verizon.

2. Click the + next to Data Used in the My Usage pod (to the right of the My Device pod under My Account).

3. Click Manage Data Alerts.

4. Select to opt in (default) or de-select (to opt out) the Send alert when data used reaches: checkboxes for 50% or 75%, the alerts for 90%, 100% and 110% are pre-set.

5. Select Add Recipient (can add up to three email recipients and three SMS recipients).

6. Select Add Email or Add Verizon Wireless Mobile Telephone number and enter the information in the resulting pop-up boxes.

7. Click Save Alert Settings.

Hope this information has been helpful.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3
There is a usage display in Settings>General that should tell you how much data you are using
0 Likes
jsauder52

Another question that I have...this is all new to me because i went from the horrible env3 to now the iphone. if i have wifi turned on will the phone automatically pull data from that for internet browsing and will it continue to count to my 2gb data cap?

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1

If you have Wi-fi turned on, the phone will use Wi-fi for data as long as you are actively using the phone and stay within range of the Wi-fi signal.  Once the phone goes to sleep, it will revert back to using cellular data unless the phone is plugged in to a power source.  You can disable cellular data on the phone to prevent all cellular data usage when desired. However, I think that MMS must be transmitted over cellular data, so if you need to send/receive these messages, enable cellular data.

Wi-fi usage does not count against your cellular data usage.

0 Likes
JohnB_VZW
Verizon Employee

Thank you all for your contributions.

@jsauder52, 

Please keep in mind that you can monitor your data usage in near real time reporting via #DATA, My Verizon, My Verizon Mobile, and My Verizon Express. Since you have one of the usage based data plans you will receive data usage alert notifications (at 50%, 75%, 90%, 100%, and 110%) via SMS and / or e-mail. These tool options will allow you to have accurate and timely information for managing your account near real time, which can assist you in avoiding data charges!

To set up My Data Usage Alerts in My Verizon :

1. Sign in to My Verizon.

2. Click the + next to Data Used in the My Usage pod (to the right of the My Device pod under My Account).

3. Click Manage Data Alerts.

4. Select to opt in (default) or de-select (to opt out) the Send alert when data used reaches: checkboxes for 50% or 75%, the alerts for 90%, 100% and 110% are pre-set.

5. Select Add Recipient (can add up to three email recipients and three SMS recipients).

6. Select Add Email or Add Verizon Wireless Mobile Telephone number and enter the information in the resulting pop-up boxes.

7. Click Save Alert Settings.

Hope this information has been helpful.

0 Likes
workingman
Contributor - Level 1

When you use WIFI, does it drain more on your battery.

0 Likes
mikedamirault
Contributor - Level 3

workingman wrote:

When you use WIFI, does it drain more on your battery.

It probably could being it's two different radios on at the same time taking battery life, but if you shut off your CDMA radio (using Airplane mode) and turn WiFi back on, that should save battery life

0 Likes
maxxtris85
Contributor - Level 1

When you browse on wifi you consume less battery power than over 3G.

0 Likes
maxxtris85
Contributor - Level 1

Also there is a very nice app called "Data Usage" for 99 cent that tracks all of your data usuage over both celluar and wifi it automatically alrets you if you are approaching your cap. 

0 Likes
Not applicable

Great question Workingman! Using wifi instead of using your 3G connection does not use more battery. A lot of people say it actually seems to help the battery. I would recommend turning off the wifi once you leave the wifi area so that the phone does not continuously search for a wifi connection. That can cause the battery to drain faster because it will keep looking for a connection. 

0 Likes