unlock
halill

hello is it possible to unlock an iphone 4s from greece purchased 9 months ago from ebay and now im using phone totally in greece so can it be done?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
Re: unlock
rcschnoor
Legend

If it is a Verizon version of the iPhone 4S, it CAN be done, but since you are in Greece and are most likely NOT a Verizon customer, you do not meet Verizon's criteria and will not perform the unlock for you.

Before Verizon will perform the unlock on your phone, you must meet their criteria which are:

1 - the phone MUST be on an active line on a Verizon account.

2 - the line must have been active and in good standing for the past 60 days.

3 - each line is only allowed 1 unlock request every 10 months.

You can read THIS thread for more info. Your best bet would be to sell the phone to someone who could use it. If you have a friend with a Verizon account, they could probably activate it on their line, request the unlock and then reactivate their phone. They could then send the phone back to you.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Halill, I hope you're having a fabulous stay in Greece. Yes, your device can be unlocked. However, you will need to contact our Global Support Team at 1-908-559-4899. For more information regarding our Global Services, click http://vz.to/134zbLK

LasinaH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Either YOU don't understand what is being asked, or I don't understand.

I understand the original post to be from a person who lives in Greece and does not have a Verizon account. He has no intention on moving to the US and does NOT want to become a Verizon customer. Can he get his phone unlocked so that he can use it on a local carrier in Greece without signing up for Verizon's overpriced Global Services. I could be wrong, though.

rcschnoor
Legend

My interpretation is reinforced by the fact my assumptions have not been corrected by the OP in the 2 days since I immediately responded to his query.

0 Likes
clbrown67

My 16 yr old daughter is traveling to Germany for 29 days this summer.  She has an iPhone4 (8g) and I heard that it was really expensive to text or call back to the US - What are my best options to be able to talk or text with her while she is away? Will her phone even work in Germany - Someone told me to have her phone "unlocked" - what does that mean?

Thanks for any info...

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

For Verizon to "unlock" the phone, you would need at least an iPhone 4S. The iPhone 4 on Verizon does not utilize a SIM card and can therefore NOT be unlocked. Your daughter's iPhone 4 will not be able to be used in Germany. She could use it as in iPod, though, and text/email when wifi is available.

You are correct in thinking it was really expensive to text or call back to the US. However, Verizon will loan your daughter a global phone without charge(I think) however Verizon's global rates are quite expensive. You can see your options here and here. Your daughter's best course of action may be to purchase a prepaid phone when she gets to Germany.

clbrown67

Thank you for the information - One more thing if you don't mind - You say that her phone won't work in Germany - does that mean that it won't roam either? I hear horror stories of crazy bills due to roaming charges.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

As far as I know, it won't roam, but you could turn off cellular data to be on the safe side.

0 Likes
halill

Hello again and thanks for the quick reply but as i said i live in greece never beeen in usa and never will be so like more companies do is there an official as verizon has nothing to earn from me keeping the iphone locked.My previous phone was iphone 4 locked at tmobile germany and after 2 years they unlocked the phone free so is there a way to do the same.As i know an unlocked phone from verizon cant work normal gsm at usa....

0 Likes