updating i phone 4
blonde1983

i updated my i phone 4 and now i can't send text messages or picture messages any sugesstions on what to do?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: updating i phone 4
iphone20

you might need to reconnect to the vzw network go to settings  then general then at the bottom reset then reset network settings after that you will have to enter in your wifi password if you use one to get back on your network

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi blonde1983!

Thanks to iphone20 for your suggestion to reset the network settings. I hope this worked for you, and you are now able to send and receive messages.

If you are still having issues, please try a soft reset of your iphone 4 by following the steps at this link:

http://bit.ly/yMPEiv

Please post back with your results. Thanks!

Christina B
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
KNS
Enthusiast - Level 1

I'm so very sorry but neither of these have been doing the trick for me; maybe once or twice but temporarily, no one bothers to tell all anyone that every month *228 option 2 should be dialed to get the updates from the closest towers and if you go out of state it improves reception. I sent a long e-mail to support last night and IDK if they got it.  For the past 2 MONTHS going on 3 maybe 4, I've mentally blocked it out the time at this point, whether I'm on WIFI @ home or at a friend's house on their network or on the AWFUL 3G I get the "not subscribed to a data plan" DAILY on my iphone 4 so I have to soft reset *228 that whole process, there are times  err..EVERYTIME that doesn't do the trick, so off to itunes I go to try to restore to last back up, I backup via icloud and on my macbook every time once a week I'd do it once a day but don't want to make my phone exert any more effort, well wouldn't you know the restore doesn't do a thing except bring me to the not subscribed to a data plan, so I've now 5 times counting last night had to restore to factory settings, its GREAT to have to configure everything back the way you thought it was, I have been to the VZW store 3 times and every time, they "diagnosed" it and try to teach me how to do  things I already know how to do I've been  told I don't qualify for a replacement...the rep also told me that the person who sold me  iphone4 at that same very location did not activate the phone when I bought it, and I can now recall the phone not working for hours maybe thinking it had to boot up or for the network to recognize it, I tried *228 and still had to call VZW support from a landline which thank God I have and  was told it was a switch problem. I'm STILL WAITING FOR MY REBATE that was "lost in the mail" and not a VZW issue it's through Citibank who, to this day, I'm still trying to contact to have my debit card rebate sent to me, it gets better for the past WEEK going on two now icloud gives me a pop up message about no internet access and something about the proxy server so now I can't even back up and yes I'm on wifi  I've reset the modem and brand new netgear router every day now for the past 3 months and I refuse to use 3G if there's no WIFI where I go I turn the phone off b/c as soon as I  get in my car I shut the phone off, the 3G reception/service is awful and I'm going to cause an accident dialing *228 option 2 only to get disconnected after waiting 3 minutes to that awful music, it takes about 7 minutes with push on for e-mails to come through, I also ask friends with iphones with other carriers to e-mail me and it takes about 20 minutes for me to get it I saved them all but they of course got wiped out when I had to restore to factory settings, I can confirm b/c I've e-mailed myself, from my gmail a/c to my icloud a.c and vice versa and it takes about 7 minutes, it's that pathetic I also ask other friends with other carriers who have iPhones to send me a text and the average for the past 3 weeks has been 15 minutes for it show as delivered on their screen and another 12 for me to get it, by that time I'm back at home on wi-fi. In my e-mall I typed last night I asked  VZW support to please check the "switch" as that's been a problem before err once. I purchased this iphone4 with my AMEX which extends the original warranty for a year once the original year is up, I also purchased  the Apple care plan with my AMEX which extends the apple care plan warranty for another year. IDK for how long now, but I think I just about ended my original warranty AND I pay the asurion insurance monthly. The woman behind me @ the VZW store on my last and final went to the rep next to my rep with a CRACKED screen on her iphone 4S he confirmed she was  day late from her warranty and SHE ADMITTED to the rep that SHE DROPPED the phone and was told "No problem, give me your iphone" and returned with brand new iphone 4S right off the shelf  I saw hi go to the shelf with my own eyes. I have been to the apple store but don't have 3 hours to waiit with an appt. b/c they're backed up, on my 3rd appt I got in and the rep told me to call Verizon and wouldn't you know the person  at the genius bar right next to me whose "home button" didn't work on his iphone4S got a brand new one rit was waiting for him at the genius bar as he had an appt. I asked him who his provider was and yes it was Verizon. My home button is a joke, I have to use the hand version under accessibility and that's least of my problems. I called Verizon and was told, before I got to ask about the switch, by a very nice rep that she'd send me a refurbished 64 point tested iPhone .......I, calmly, recounted my experiences at the 2 stores to her and she replied with "I can't speak to that I'm telling you our BLAH BLAH...."NO NO NO NO "is what I was and am still thinking. I was and still 'm infuriated, to see 2 separate people get BRAND NEW IPHONE 4S with BLATANT DISREGARD of the refurbished phone policy! Its a BIG SLAP IN THE FACE. I have an extended warranty through AMEX purchased the apple  care plan with AMEX AND pay insurance & I'm going to get mailed a refurbished iPhone4 & have to send my phone back or else I'll be charged. Needless to say, I'm hoping it's a switch problem,if the rep had just let me ask instead of jumping down my throat about hearing the truth, it wouldn't be to the point it is now...UGLY. AMEX has already been alerted of the situation and since I purchased the Apple care plan with my AMEX they'll be if they already haven't contacting Apple care directly.I was told by the AMEX rep to go to either the VZW or Apple store or both as soon as I hear back about the switch & if that's not the problem & I get to the 2nd store without what I want which I'm not going to type here to call a certain phone # not an 800 #.  I hate to type this so I'll give the "nice version" but before you call VZW support and go through the refurbished 64 point tested phone to come in the mail and to return your existing one, go to a VZW store and flirt with the rep or to any Apple store and you'll get a brand spanking new iPhone. Can someone say phone call to Martha Coakley and better business bureau? Sorry Verizon, but your company and stores should be ASHAMED. I am covered for at least 3 more years and its basically money down the drain.You have my information but I'd prefer you e-mail me, please don't text or call my cell #, IDK if I'll get it 2 days after you call/text or at all as I might be in the process of doing a factory reset or have no internet or somewhere with no wifi. The caps do no mean I'm yelling just trying to prove a point. Thanks for your time

0 Likes
KNS
Enthusiast - Level 1

Going to apple store tomorrow b/c iphone 4S #2 is having the same problems, I'd give anything to have my iphone 3 or 4 back. Have you tried taking off the plastic clear screen cover if you applied one? It's supposed to and has helped many people, not me though. I would say stay with the iphone 4 skip the 4S wait until your upgrade/iphone 5 kinks are worked out and go for the 5.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I know how important it is to have a reliable device KNS! The feedback you have described is definitely not typical going from the iPhone 4 to the 4s. The 4s was designed as an improvement over the 4 and it should not be performing worse in the same areas. I trust you have received your replacement now and that it will resolve your concerns. Please let us know if you need additional assistance.

Sincerely,

JonathanK_VZW
VZW Support
Follow Us on Twitter@VZWSupport

0 Likes