Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
use in China
brightxia

I am a Chinese working in USA, i will have a vocation back to China.

I just wanna know if i can use Chinese local sim card, the local carrier named China Telecom, cdma mode

thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: use in China
gina7239

There are 2 different options you can do put an international plan on your account to help you or you can wait to be unlocked. You have to search international rates on vzw.com. To unlock your phone you need to be on a Verizon account for so many months. It is a privilege to get your phone unlocked because you have to meet certain requirements. Not all of the 3 companies do that. If you really wanted an unlocked phone right away you could have to my knowledge went to apple to get one for a higher price of course. I think you have to stay on your Verizon plan while you are on vacation or whatever.

Maybe this is a rant but I am not an international phone expert. I just know blackberry you have to stay on your verizon plan.

Does anyone know why do some People have the impression that when you get an international phone like the iPhone that you can just leave not haveing it tied to an account and use some other international carrier because a lot of the people who are asking on the boards saying they bought or got a phone in America and now aren't in America without a Verizon contract. Maybe they try to do that if a friend bought them one but that doesent mean it will work.

For me anyways I picked The carrier here in USA then the iPhone and then the one with the international feature. It seems to be cheaper to go with the local international sim card but i dont don't know if they know that you still have to pay the Verizon fees while abroad because thats what i was told but maybe there is away without doing it. Verizon says it is safer for your phone if you do the international plan instead of doing the local sim card but maybe that's a business reason to make money I don't know. I could be wrong so if anyone can colaborate on that. I am not one to judge but it's confusing. I know people can get phones from anywhere. i better stop before I be to redundant. I hope I helped to tell what I know or heard around here. There are differences.

0 Likes
xiache

Hi, gina7239:

First of all, I have been reading your answers for a while and I really think you did a good job. Secondly, I think you brought up a good question in this topic. I tend to think this SIM card issue is due to two problems: One, the price difference between unlocked and locked. Every time if there is hundreds of $ involved, there are people trying to make the difference. Two, people that ask this question are most likely those that bought it from a Verison customer, or were a former customer, and got it unlocked (true or not) at a discount. As long as the price defference is still there this will go on and on.

0 Likes
brightxia

my cell was unclocked today by verizon, it is great!

0 Likes