3G, 4G, and LTE Data Network on iPhone 5
mdmorgan

When an iPhone 5 on AT&T or T-Mobile loses LTE in a limited coverage area, it reverts back to the 4G network. When my iPhone 5 on Verizon loses LTE in a limited coverage area, it reverts back to 3G. Why does Verizon have 3G instead of 4G when it loses LTE on an iPhone 5.

I've also noticed that the iPhone 4S from AT&T and T-Mobile shows the 4G network icons while the Verizon and Sprint's iPhone 4S shows the 3G network icons.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 3G, 4G, and LTE Data Network on iPhone 5
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's see what's going on with your service Roal! How often are you seeing the network toggle back and forth from LTE-3G? LTE and 4G are the same; therefore, if you're seeing LTE, that means you're getting 4G. Some phones display 4G, some display LTE, but I assure you, both are the same. Also, do connections start after 8AM, or before 8AM? This could be because the network is getting heavier usage after a certain hour so connection isn't as strong. How does it work outside the home after this hour?

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello mdmorgan
Our network is designed for the device to look for the strongest signal. I can't speak for other carriers. So in a challenging area our devices will look for the strongest signal.

JoeL_VZW

0 Likes
Roal

Having the Same issue.  It is either LTE or 3G, never 4G no matter my location.  Also, can you explain when I am home there are no issues streaming videos up to 8am est but after that I keep getting connection issues.  Can verizon regulate when and how much data signal you receive? 

Thanks,

RRJ

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's see what's going on with your service Roal! How often are you seeing the network toggle back and forth from LTE-3G? LTE and 4G are the same; therefore, if you're seeing LTE, that means you're getting 4G. Some phones display 4G, some display LTE, but I assure you, both are the same. Also, do connections start after 8AM, or before 8AM? This could be because the network is getting heavier usage after a certain hour so connection isn't as strong. How does it work outside the home after this hour?

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes
mdmorgan

I usually don't have issues with LTE except when I go into low coverage areas and the one time the phone line was temporarily suspended. LTE was gone, the only thing that was there at the time was 3G and mainly 1X. I really do not understand iPhone 4 has 3G icon, the iPhone 5 has LTE icon, and the iPhone 4S (GSM) has the 4G icon.

0 Likes
Roal

Thanks for your response!  The connection issue starts after 8AM, if I'm lucky after 10AM.  So basically everyone in the verizon network in my zip code is affected when the network get jammed up?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You're welcome Roal! Not necessarily everyone in your zip code, but everyone connecting to the same tower may experience same/ similar issue. Its a good idea to restart your phone daily, to reset connection. Also, close apps when not in use. This can help get you the best connection to the nearest towers when needed. Please try this and see if service improves.

Thank you,
VanessaS_VZW

0 Likes