3G Speeds Very Slow?
DeadlyCyclone

Got the iPhone 5 on Verizon when it launched and LTE has been fantastic. One thing I am noticing though is that 3G is nowhere near what it was when I had my 3G only Droid X on Verizon. When I ran speed tests I was getting what you see below. Around 0.15-0.35 down. I can open web pages somehow but downloading apps takes forever or errors out. Also streaming music is near impossible.

Could this be a hardware thing? Anyone else seeing slow speeds? I am in Iowa.

This one is the fastest I've had in days...

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--wry0IQvP1k/UGXFg-3CnUI/AAAAAAAAH9c/6FoIDBgvUy0/s512/photo.jpg

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: 3G Speeds Very Slow?
Ilanshanon

We noticed the same thing.  Upgraded from a Droid to IP5, and while 4g is lightning fast, when we went across Wyoming and had 3G spots, it seemed a lot slower than the Droid.  Not a big deal for us since we're in 4g territory 99% of the time.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Wow DeadlyCyclone!

That is way too slow. Our average 3g speeds generally range from 400 Kbps - 1.2 Mbps! Luckily I have some suggestions for you.

I recommend starting easy and powering the phone off, removing the sim card for about 10 seconds and then reinserting. Test it out!

If that doesn't work then I would recommend resetting your network settings: http://support.verizonwireless.com/clc/devices/knowledge_base.html?id=64531

Let me know how this works out!

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes
DeadlyCyclone

Doing both the sim pull and network reset seemed to work a bit for now. I'm getting around .8 down and .5 up. Which is better.

I never remember having issues on my Droid X. I can't tell if it is the phone, or if the network is just bad in this area and I never realized it. LTE works great though.

Hopefully it stays consistent now at least.

Thanks

0 Likes
Mason2000

I've followed these tips and it has not helped at all.  the slow 3g speeds are really making me question my move from AT&T.  Not every location is LTE yet, and if Verizon is going to let the 3g network go to crap, then i'm wasting my money.

I can't do anything on 3g, and am luck if I get more than 22kpbs.  AT&T's edge network is faster than that.

Verizon even sent me a replacement phone thinking it was a problem with the phone, but that did not help. 

0 Likes
NJ_Analyst
Contributor - Level 1

I have an iPhone 5 since November 2012 and an iPhone 4 before that.  On both phones I have encounter similar speed problems at 3G when on the Verizon network.  LTE, when it works, is usually anywhere from 4Mbps to 20Mbps. The problem for me is that when in LTE enabled areas the signal often drops to 3G which is often below 200 kbps. Frankly, the problem is getting worse since November.  Perhaps the Verizon network is unable to sustain high speeds with more subscribers on LTE?

Not applicable

When Verizon adds 4G antennas to a tower I doubt it's in addition to all the 1x and 3G antennas already there. Something got to give. That means the removal of some 3G antennas. Thus degradation of the 3G signal. Verizon will be getting rid of 3G within the next few years anyway. Or you could have a lot of 3G users in your area. Or just a few hogs using their connections all the time.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hey there Mason 2000. I am sorry for the issues that you are having with the 3G network. While we are working towards nationwide expansion of the 4G LTE network, we still take pride in our 3G network. I don't want you to question your move, we are glad to have you and I am confident we can resolve your issue. I can assure you that you made the right choice.

Thanks for trying all the steps that us and the community provided. At this point I would like to review your home area were you use the phone. What is your zipcode? We may need to file a resolution ticket on your behalf to see if there are some known issues in you area and to see what the best resolution is. Please follow me, NicholasB_VZW, and DM me with your contact information so we can speak directly in order to resolve your issues.  I look foward to hearing from you.  I want to confirm that you made the right decision by joining us at Verizon Wireless and provide you the excellent service you deserve.

NickB_VZW
Verizon Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
amy0408
Enthusiast - Level 2

What Brian said is EXACTLY what I was thinking!  Ever since the release of iPhone 5 and Samsung Galaxy last fall, my 3G reception has dwindled. It doesn't matter where I am in relation to a tower or what time of day.  It's just slow, period, and never used to be. My zip code is 33411, if you want to verify that we do have adequate service in my area.  It makes me want to switch to AT&T.  Letting their 3G network fall to the wayside before people's 3G phone contracts are up is no bueno!

0 Likes
Not applicable

Just to let you know that both at&t and Verizon will be shutting down their 3G service permanently within the next few years.

0 Likes