Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
4G LTE toggling to 3G?
SunDevilR

I've noticed my 5s toggles frequently to 3G from 4G LTE when I am in the middle of a strong LTE coverage area (at least as indicated on Verizon's 4G map).  My wife's 5c seems to never toggle to 3G. 

The phone will occasionally recover to 4G LTE on its own.  Mostly I have to switch to airplane mode and back, which recovers LTE.  Apple says that toggling to 3G is normal.  Verizon customer support says it isn't.  The general buzz I've found from googling the subject seems to indicate this is not unheard of behavioral  What I can't determine is, is the behavior indicative of a phone problem?

Any other user's have similar experiences?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: 4G LTE toggling to 3G?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

SunDevilR, those are great questions! 4G devices are backward compatible to pickup 3G signal. There are many factors that can contribute to your 5S having different signal than the 5C. This can be the antenna build within the phone or it can be the sim cards picking up signal differently. Building structure, terrain, and weather are other factors that prevent optimum signal. Is your device freezing, power cycling, or any damage on the phone? Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: 4G LTE toggling to 3G?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

SunDevilR, those are great questions! 4G devices are backward compatible to pickup 3G signal. There are many factors that can contribute to your 5S having different signal than the 5C. This can be the antenna build within the phone or it can be the sim cards picking up signal differently. Building structure, terrain, and weather are other factors that prevent optimum signal. Is your device freezing, power cycling, or any damage on the phone? Keep us posted!

WiltonA_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on twitter @VZWSupport 

0 Likes