5s Data Usage?
ttocsrednib
Enthusiast - Level 3

I notice that all the 5S in the family use data all hours of the day and night even with wifi in the home.  Why is that?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 5s Data Usage?
ttocsrednib
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a summary of a chat with Apple:

Good, now toward the bottom of that page, you can see your apps listed. Anything that is toggled on, has permission to use cellular data. When you purchase the phone, these are all on by default. By turning some of these things off, we can eliminate those surprise charges.

if the phone senses that the cellular data signal is stronger, it will use the cellular data if the Wi-Fi is really slow sometimes.

Me:
my thoughts were when the iphone was asleep it did not use the wifi. Reason I said that is when I wake it up it's on data then switches to wifi. could that be?

What you’re saying about the Wi-Fi not being used when the phone is asleep, is half true. To ensure no data is being used while the phone is asleep is to force quit all open apps before going to sleep. That way you don’t have apps trying to run in the background. For example, if you check Facebook, play a game, and check your email then put your phone to sleep, by not quitting those apps, they are still refreshing even while the phone is asleep because technically they’re still open.

• 
Not necessarily, if the Wi-Fi connection is lost at any point in the night, it will default to using the cellular data. And theres no way of telling if your Wi-Fi stays connected while you’re sleeping

• Me:
ah, that's a little known fact
is typing

I didn't want to hear this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: 5s Data Usage?
ttocsrednib
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here is a summary of a chat with Apple:

Good, now toward the bottom of that page, you can see your apps listed. Anything that is toggled on, has permission to use cellular data. When you purchase the phone, these are all on by default. By turning some of these things off, we can eliminate those surprise charges.

if the phone senses that the cellular data signal is stronger, it will use the cellular data if the Wi-Fi is really slow sometimes.

Me:
my thoughts were when the iphone was asleep it did not use the wifi. Reason I said that is when I wake it up it's on data then switches to wifi. could that be?

What you’re saying about the Wi-Fi not being used when the phone is asleep, is half true. To ensure no data is being used while the phone is asleep is to force quit all open apps before going to sleep. That way you don’t have apps trying to run in the background. For example, if you check Facebook, play a game, and check your email then put your phone to sleep, by not quitting those apps, they are still refreshing even while the phone is asleep because technically they’re still open.

• 
Not necessarily, if the Wi-Fi connection is lost at any point in the night, it will default to using the cellular data. And theres no way of telling if your Wi-Fi stays connected while you’re sleeping

• Me:
ah, that's a little known fact
is typing

I didn't want to hear this!

0 Likes