Accessive data usage on iPhone 5??!
Embeaman

Okay, so 3 days ago I upgraded from my HTC Thunderbolt to an iPhone 5. Two days after that I received a message saying that I have used 75% of my data allowance for the month. Early this morning, I received another message saying I have used 90 % of my data allowance for the month. There's hardly ever a time when I'm NOT connected to WiFi. And I really don't use the iPhone any more than I used the other phone, so why is this happening?!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Accessive data usage on iPhone 5??!
Opowell
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had that same problem for 3 months.

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello Embeaman,

We know how important it is to effectively manage your data usage. After all, no one likes overages. It will be my pleasure to partner with you to get this issue resolved. May I ask what software and carrier version do you have on your iPhone 5? Also, what data plan do you have? If you can be so kind as to share what data functions that you are using on your device then we can customize a solution for you. I'm looking forward to your reply.

Thank you...

ArnettH_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
jhacker92

I upgraded my phone on the 15th to an iPhone 5 from a 4S. I noticed my data increase significantly within that day till now. On my actual phone data usage in the settings, it shows WAY less then what Verizon says I used compared to verizon's bill usage. All my software is up to date, I even have 2 other people on my plan (one is a 4s and the other is a galaxy s4) they used way less this month then I used in a matter of a week. I reset the carrier settings so I'll see how it goes for next billing cycle that ends in 10 days. Very frustrating..

0 Likes
KathleenDWarner
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am also having this issue: I ported in the number from AT&T (where, by the way, I never had overage issues with my Iphone 5) and purchased an iphone 5, with which I immediately had connectivity issues. Replaced the iphone about a week ago and just today, got a message this morning that I'd used 50% of my 2GB, at 11pm (after being on an airplane for 6 hours with the phone turned off), I received another notice that I'd used 75% and then at 11:30pm I was over the limit! All during a time I was in a hotel room on wi-fi. It makes absolutely no sense. Of course, I cannot find any answers on the website nor any way to email Verizon to put them on notice that this second iphone, received less than ten days ago, is potentially defective.

0 Likes
88glide
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the iphone 5 since they first came out with no data usage problems whatsoever until a little over a week ago.  My wife has an Android device and we have never gone over out 1GB usage since we both are often on WIFI.  Approximately 2 weeks into our June billing cycle I received the alert that we had used 50% of our data which was about right since she had been out of town some this month.  Less than 24 hours later I received notice that we had used 75% of data allowance less than 12 hours after that we I received the notice that we were OVER our 1GB allowance.  I called customer support that Monday and somehow let them convince me that I really had used that much data with some change I had mistakenly made to my phone.  I changed the data plan and made certain to close all background apps and checked ALL settings that might be causing this.  A few days later another 1 GB was gone after a call to an extremely unhelpful customer service person I told her to STOP TALKING and make a note on my account of what had happened and that I would call back EVERYDAY until this problem was resolved.  The next day I spoke with a more helpful person but she was not able to resolve the issue but FINALLY transferred me to TECHNICAL SUPPORT.  After speaking with an EXTREMELY Helpful man, he suggested that I DELETE and REINSTALL ALL of my email accounts.  He said that he would call me back in a few days to see if this helped.  He contacted me today and as of right now it appears this has SOLVED the problem.  I am checking my data usage details frequently to make sure but I would suggest trying this for anyone with this problem.  My iphone is currently on OS 6.1.4 an I think this update may have instigated the problem

chefryl
Enthusiast - Level 1

Same issue!  Excessive usage.  I will delete my email accounts right now and installed.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Kathaleen Verizon dropped there Email Service and went to Chat) And you might Look and see if your iPhone has a Feature to turn off the Mobile Data when your on the Wi-Fi as it may still pull Data over the System if it's engaged.. b33

0 Likes
tsushi

Thanks for the heads up.  I have the same issue.  I will try deleting and reinstalling the email accounts.  What a headache!

0 Likes
penelopejones
Enthusiast - Level 1

Been having the same problem.  Is there not sometjing Verizon can do at their end to resolve this problem?  We pay pretty good to get their service.  They should be able to take care of it on their side.  Seems several of us are having the same problem....I have not c hecked to see if I am being charged however, if anyone out there is needing complaint support, please be free to use my phone number and name....I have a total of 5 persons on my plan.

I will be reviewing my current bill and if I am being charged, you can rest assured that I will be back on here complaining.

>>Personal information removed<<

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator