Alternating between the 5 and 4S?
climber20

I recently got the iPhone 5. 

In the past, whenever I went on vacation, I would usually re-activate an older phone while on my trip (just in case I lost it or got robbed) and switch back to the new phone after I got home.  My last several phones were all 3G phones, so I did this online myself without any problems.

Can I still do this with the iPhone 5 since it is an LTE device?  If I temporarily switch back to my iPhone 4S, will the SIM card in my iPhone 5 be permanently deactivated requiring me to get a new SIM every time I wish to change back, or can I repeatedly reactivate the same SIM card I have now?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Alternating between the 5 and 4S?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi there Climber20,

I'm so excited for your new phone, I hope you're loving it! 

I think it's a great idea that you swap your phone out, just in case. Very safe! 

The answer to your question is a little tricky. 4G LTE sim card technology is being updated constantly to be user friendly.  This is how it works at this current time:

Activate 3G phone > Sim Card goes into Aging Status > At midnight or after 24 hours the Sim Card can then be reactivated on the same Phone number within 365 days.

Basically you wouldn't be able to reactive your iPhone 5 for at least 24 hours, after that you will be just fine!

Have safe travels.

Thanks,

MelissaM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

0 Likes